Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

acoustic model 220, any information?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by P, Apr 24, 2002.

1. P

P

Jul 31, 2000
    :confused:

Hi!

I have a bassamp from acoustic. it´s model 220 and serial number is 220 03202. is this amp like the acoustic 360 used by jaco? Can someone give any Information about this amp? I found nearly nothing on the web. Prices? rare or not? ...

Thanks

P

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Well...the same? No other than having been built by the same company.

The 220 head was produced in the mid to late '70s and was rated (by Acoustic) 125 watts rms into 4 ohms (@5% THD) and 160 watts rms into 2 ohms (@5% THD). These ratings come from the '78 catalog.

Don't let these seemingly meger power output values scare you off...these amps are really loud with the right cabinet. You might want to check out Jay Storey's review on Harmony Central.

I own a slightly earlier Model 450 head that has about the same power rating (my '73 Acoustic catalog claims 170 watts rms (probably into 2 ohms). Using it at practice with a single 15 EVM, I can barely turn it past 1/4 volume in my fairly loud rock band. It has a great tone too, even without using the graphic EQ. My 450 does have a fuzz circuit and a lead/bass switch that changes the amp's voice.

The 220 doesn't feature a fuzz circuit like the 360 did. Plus the 360 was only a preamp intended to be used with the powered 361 bottom. I think the ratings of the power amp in the 361 were something like 200 watts rms.

The EQ section of both is quite different, the 220 has bass/middle/treble plus bright switch and boost and a 5 band graphic EQ. The 360 had Volume, bass, treble variamp and a bright switch. The 360 also included a fuzz circuit and a electronic tuning fork.

I don't know how rare the 220 is...it's just old. It's a great amp to have. Acoustic seemed to do well in Florida...maybe the Jaco influence or it could be that bassists there really liked the clean sound that you could get.

You could probably get a good Jaco tone if you used it with the Acoustic 301 speaker cabinet (1x18 Vega folded horn).

If you have any more questions, post 'em and I'll do my best to answer them or get an answer for you.

3. stevekim

stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca
    well...that pretty much covers it right? :) if you're interested in acoustic amps, check out my website:

http://www.acoustic360.com

steve

4. P

P

Jul 31, 2000
    Hi there :)

i didn´t expect to get so much information. Thanks a lot. I will buy it for 75,- Euro. I guess thats really cheap. The backside says 350 watt but it´s an 220 Model... :confused: ....perhaps it`s a later version...but i think i can handle that :)
    is it possible to find out by the serial number(220 03202) when it was exactly built? that whould be nice but i guess it´s no more possible cause acoustic went out of buisness.
    Your information helps a lot.

Thanks!

5. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Hi,

If you ever have the chassis out of the case, you could look for a date code on the power transformer...it would probably be in the form of XXX YYWW or EIA XXX YYWW where YY is the last two digits of the year and WW would be the number of the week (01 through 52). The electrolytic capacitors will have a date code on them too. If these numbers are pretty close to one another you'll know about when the amp was made. I doubt that Acoustic kept a huge stock of components on hand.

I know that the Model 450 was available in '74 because that's when I became aware of bass gear. I really wanted a 370 or a 450 but could not afford either. As I mentioned earlier, the 220 appears in the '78 catalog that I have.

As for the 350 watt marking...that is what it will draw from the (in your case) 230 volt mains at full output power, not the amplifiers output power rating. The big power house head at the time that the 220 was produced was the 320 (the grandson of the 360).

I probably have an owner's manual and schematic for the 220 somewhere at home. If you need a copy, please let me know.

BTW, I paid only $50 US for my Model 450 head last fall. It was filthy but worked just fine.

6. P

P

Jul 31, 2000
    Hi,

Thanks a lot once more.
    I didn´t had the time to look into it yet. But i´ll go for it soon. It would be very nice if you could send me the owners manual and the schematic.
    You said that you have a catalog from acoustic.
    What was the price for that amp at this time?
    Whould be intresting cause I have no idea how much it´s really worth. More than 75€ i guess.
    Nice Picture! I hope i can post you one too soon.

Greetings

P

7. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    For prices, check closed eBay auctions...that will usually give you the high end.

For the other stuff, write to me at wnb99@hotmail.com

Bill