1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Acoustic or another Electric?!?!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AudioOUTRAGE, Nov 21, 2006.

1. AudioOUTRAGE

AudioOUTRAGE

Aug 27, 2006
    Hey, I'm having trouble deciding on whether i should get an acoustic/electric or an electric bass. :crying:

Many say that it's great to have an acoustic around because you can just grab it and go :hyper: . for electric basses you have to have the amp and all that fun stuff.

However! My electric bass i'm using now is the worst of the worst lol (on my opinion). It only cost 200 US$ at retail price. I just went to the local guitar shop and just chose the cheapest one (cause my parents didn't think i'd stick with bass guitar). :rollno:

and now it's the present. been a few years. and im still stuck with the bass guitar. i have no idea what brand it is cause i put a sticker over it so i can just say its a fender (no one knows it isn't....only real guitar players know that :rolleyes: ).

acoustic i plan for the Fender Victor Bailey.
    electric im still choosing between stringray, g-l l2000, and a couple other ones.

damn ACOUSTIC OR ELECTRIC? tell me what you guys did/think. :help:

2. mimaz

mimaz

Mar 1, 2005
    Wheeling WV
    Endorsing Artist: Crook Custom Guitars
    If you're still that early in the game, and your present bass isn't a keeper, why not combine the cash you would use for the new instrument along with selling or trading the old one, to step up in quality. Once you get one that's actually "worth having" for a primary instrument, then worry about #2.

3. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Depends what you want to do. If you want to play live and gig with people then electric is the way to go. Acoustic electric is good if you're mostly tinkering around the house. Plug it in if you're going to be playing with a guitar player, otherwise you might have problems being heard in the mix. Play them before you buy them, because a lot of the acoustic basses are really hard to hear if they're not plugged it. I found that to be the case with a lot of Ovations. I ended up buying an Epiphone/Gibson (made in USA) "El Capitan" bass about six years ago. I love it. It sounds good unplugged and it's such a joy to play. But this is a subjective search. The El Capitan was about 750 bucks when I bought. Not sure what they are now. Not even going to get into the electric conversation. There are so many options out there, that it'll blow your mind. Take what you have and figure out what you "don't" like about it, and search for a bass that replaces those things you don't like.

4. Lowpro

Lowpro

Sep 25, 2006
    Birmingham, AL
    ^ agreed with that guy. It's nice to have an acoustic bass around, but it's better to actually get an electric bass which you can get into rather than dealing with particle board crap like the Squier ( I'm betting it's a Squier Affinity series bass BTW)

Look at the Ibanez/Yamaha market, play a few in your music store. Look at the Gear Reviews here, and with that knowledge, pick a good bass.

BTW did you buy that bass with an amp? Because if you bought that lil Rumble 25W amp, then you aren't going to be hearing your bass as you would want to.

BUT! Acoustic bass is nice for bedroom playing, and chicks dig it when you just pick up a guitar/bass and play something. You kinda look like a dumbass picking up an electric, plugging it into your amp, messing with the EQ for a quickie soundcheck, then finally getting to the song itself. Yea, you can't do that kinda stuff at a picnic

5. mimaz

mimaz

Mar 1, 2005
    Wheeling WV
    ahh.....the latest case of G.A.S. develops........

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    If it's any consolation, I like a 10:1 electric to acoustic ratio with basses. I have 9 electrics, so I may need an acoustic soon ;)

7. mimaz

mimaz

Mar 1, 2005
    Wheeling WV
    Hmmm, good point, when the Sadowsky shows up tomorrow, that will make 19 electrics for me vs one acoustic. According to your calculations, I will be FORCED to get another acoustic. ;)

8. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    You'll need another electric as well for the proper ratio! :D

9. AudioOUTRAGE

AudioOUTRAGE

Aug 27, 2006
  10. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Jeez, I'm gonna need 8 more electrics (or 7 if you count my reliced-by-being-run-over-by-a-Toyota 1966 Kingston up in the attic) to achieve that ratio. ;^)

11. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Hey, gotta keep the zen going. Tell the wife/girlfriend/mother/dog I said it's okay.

12. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Working on it... :smug:

13. I'd truly love to see pics. :)