Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Acoustic or Electric Guitar?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by FooBass, Sep 5, 2004.

1. FooBass

FooBass

Aug 25, 2004
    OK...I have one acoustic guitar already but it was a piece of crap 100 dollar guitar and I have 1 electric that was a piece of crap 100 dollar guitar, and now I want to buy a new guitar and i dont know if it should be acoustic or electric.

Bass is my main instrument and I am used to the good quality of my Musicman and this draggs me away from my **** guitars so what I was wondering is should I get an acoustic or an electric?

2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Renamed and moved to Misc.

3. CrazyArcher

CrazyArcher

Aug 5, 2004
    Israel
    Buy what you like better...
    I would buy an electric one, just coz I like its sound and there's a possibility of kewl effects and techniques :)

4. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I'd do electric, just 'cause I I find electric guitars more comfortable to play...but that's really a personal thing.

5. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Acoustic. Cheaper, easier to hone your technique without distortion and such, easy to pick up when ever you have time and less chance for effects/amp-GAS.

6. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I too bought a cheapie $100 acoustic-i think it was a good choice for me. For what i wanted it for initially-it works well. If i was to buy another guitar-it'd more likely be either a strat copy or tele copy from Rondo. Cost Effective Gear.

That's all

7. BTW, I recently bought an electric guitar (an ESP on sale for 488$) I have only heard good things about it and am happy. :cool:

8. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    Get an Acoustic/Electric.

I use an Ovation Celebrity CK57. It has a an electric feel to it because its a shallow body acoustic. It sounds pretty good acousticly, not great compared to the deeper body types but it sounds awesome pluged in.

They run around $400.00

9. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    I'd say electric, mainly because you can get a great electric guitar for almost nothing if you don't care what it looks like, were as a good acoustic is harder to find and "most likely" will cost more.

I actually own 11 guitars [although I don't use them all that much] which I use for recording and writing guitar parts to songs I write. Most of then are "Frankensteins" that cost from $50 to $200 in parts. I only own own three guitars that aren't Frankenstein #1 is dark metallic red Jackson kelly standard no. 00077 that I go for $299.00 and the other was a Ibanez destroyer [red with one pickup] that I go free with a mesa power amp. the other is a dano baritone [although it is tuned like a bass VI right now] and I paid around $238.00 or so.

10. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.
    I just bought a Parker Nitefly a couple weeks ago so I can get electric and acoustic sounds from one guitar.

11. Fine, fine...if you want a pic all you have to do is ask :rolleyes:

:bag:

12. Nice score! ;)

I'm toying with the idea of getting another guitar too. If I get an acoustic, it'll probably be one of the Breedlove imported acoustics.

If I get an electric, it might be this one: Gibson Les Paul doublecut. Click on the one on the right: http://www.gibson.com/products/gibson/lespaul/dblcuts.html

They're only $649 at Musiciansfriend, and I love P-90s !!!

You can find the Breedloves I'm talking about there too. Just go to Musiciansfriend.com, then:

1.) Click on guitar
    2.) Click on acoustic - NOT ACOUSTIC/ELECTRIC
    3.) Sort by brand - Select Breedlove

I'm thinking of getting the AD200/SM Acoustic.

I also like the Fender Aerodyne Telecaster, but MF doesn't carry it anymore, and at Sam Ash's site, they're listed as *closeout*, and they only have 5 left. :bawl:

Another guitar I've always wanted to check out is the Gibson Blueshawk: http://www.gibson.com/products/gibson/hawk/BluesHawk.html

$799 at MF, but they're not in stock right now.

Good luck in your decision.

Mike :cool:

13. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I have been saving my GIG money for months with the intent on buying another instrument or gear. The problem is, I am still using the same techniques, musical lines of expression, and chops when playing. So, I have decided to use my GIG money to get lessons instead.

The gear will always be there. Time for me is running out.