Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Acoustic or Electric?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by full_bleed, Oct 31, 2005.

Acoustic or Electric?

Poll closed Nov 7, 2005.
  1. Just play your current eletric basses

24 vote(s)
    72.7%
  2. Go get yourself an acoustic

9 vote(s)
    27.3%
  1. full_bleed

full_bleed

May 27, 2005
    Arizona
    My firend that I always jam with told me yesterday that he's decided to switch to an acoustic sound rather than the big loud distortion laden guitar rock that we used to play. Alot of the songs that were written before will still switch over nicely with a little tweaking here and there. My question is though, should I go to the store and pick up a good acoustic bass or will I be just fine to continue with my electrics? I never really listened or payed attention to many acoustic bands before so I don't know what you use gear wise. What do you guys suggest?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Buy an upright!

As someone who thinks acoustic bass guitars are a joke unless you're at the beach, I think you should just stick with the electrics. Mind you, my opinion isn't very objective after years of listening to acoustic basses that are barely louder than an electric.

3. full_bleed

full_bleed

May 27, 2005
    Arizona
    Yeah I know what you mean. I've picked up a few at guitar shops and they always seemed to be very low output and I have still yet to hear one I like the tone of. But at the same time I guess I've never really looked either.

4. Yeah acoustic bass guitars are a waste of space. Either go upright or stay electric. It seems crazy that your friend is dumping electric guitar all together. He knows there are other sounds besides distortion, right?

Anyways, if you're playing the same rock lines as before, I'd suggest you stick with your electric. Maybe change the eq a bit to be more mellow. You might even try fretless!

5. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    Electric, or as JimmyM says a DB. I've played most of them from $200 POS Ibanezes to J. T. Hargreaves's $7,000 BLUEJAY, and although some do have a nice sound they all end up sounding like de-tuned guitars if you play with more then one moderately volumed player in less you PLUG IT IN. If you NEED a more “acoustic” sound get one of those thin line basses like Rick Turner, Godin and so on make. Your Friend is going for the sound he wants, I think you should do the same and just get the sound you want.

6. full_bleed

full_bleed

May 27, 2005
    Arizona
    Yeah he knows. Honestly though, it probably wouldn't sound to good with a clean electric guitar or even a mildly overdriven one. I think an acoustic can sometimes be just as agressive of a sound a distorted guitar. It's probably the most logical move if there's going to be one. the reason for switching to acoustic is so that we don't need to rely on other musicians anymore. We always had trouble finding people to either keep up or comprehend our music (it is it's own breed). Good idea on the fretless. I don't know why I didn't think of that.

7. full_bleed

full_bleed

May 27, 2005
    Arizona
    The sound I want is what is going to blend in the best. No sense in sounding like crap just because I may be to stubborn to give on something.

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Well what basses do you own now?

9. full_bleed

full_bleed

May 27, 2005
    Arizona
    all fretted. Warwick thumb 4 b.o., SX Jazz 5, Hamer P-bass, Yamaha BBG4S

10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Put flats on the Hamer and see what you think.

11. full_bleed

full_bleed

May 27, 2005
    Arizona
    ok I'll try that thanks

12. Just play your electric digging in a few frets from the top - if you've got a Fender then it'll sound pretty upright (haven't tried any others so...)

On the other hand my teacher has got an acoustic bass (not sure what make) and I've gotta say its got a nice sound to it...kind of deep bodied single-cutaway fretless semi-acoustic job - nice, but they're supposedly at lease £1500-2000 over here...

13. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

I'm pretty much with everyone else on this - stick with your present instrument and just play in a manner that blends with what your buddy is doing.

Also, as already posted by Addylewis, try playing over the end of the neck, using the side of the fingerboard for a thumb rest. It'll give you a really pleasant "acoustic" tone and you should try this, along with just playing with a little softer touch, before you go spending any money on anything else, including strings.

If it still seems a little to bright or harsh for the sound you want, even after playing with the eq a bit, then you could try some flatwounds, but I think you'd be pretty happy with the sound you can get from your present equipment.

14. adouglas

adouglas

Jun 23, 2003
    Bridgeport, CT
    Stay electric, for sure.

My band is a trio, plus a drum machine. The guitarist plays a clean (no effects) 12-string Taylor acoustic, I play electric bass, the third member plays flute from time to time, and we all sing.

We are able to do really credible renditions of some rock songs, e.g. "Bad Case of Loving You" by Robert Palmer. We even do "Dreaming" by Blondie. It IS possible to kick a$$ without having a distorted electric guitar, but you need to be a bit creative and pay a lot of attention to your arrangements.

Some songs require a signature distorted guitar hook, which I play on the bass. The two that are currently in rotation are "Story In Your Eyes" by the Moody Blues, and "No Time Left For You" by the Guess Who.

Most of what we play is less raucous than that, of course. Eagles, Paul Simon, etc. Probably the sort of stuff you're looking to play.

The electric bass is an excellent counterpoint to the acoustic 12 string. Really adds meat and thump to the sound, and balances the sparkly, jangly highs of the 12 nicely.

An acoustic bass would just be muddy.

An upright is a whole different animal. You need to play music suited for an upright for it to work well. There's no way you're going to get away with playing something poppy like the Eagles' "Take it Easy" (just a random example that you're no doubt familiar with) on an upright.

To see how well an electric works with acoustic guitars, get hold of any of the Eagles DVDs from the last ten years.

15. full_bleed

full_bleed

May 27, 2005
    Arizona
    Actually what we'll be playing are going to be all originals but they are going to still be kind of hard. Think Day of the New, Alice in Chains but heavier than the 2 put together then add a little extra. It seems that electric wins. That's what I was hoping everyone was going to say. :hyper: :D

16. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Go either Electric or DB.

On the other hand, you *May* want to give the Agile or Sx one a try if you're lookin at trying Acoustic...I might, and wlel you can always still plug em in. Not many reviews though...