1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

acoustic outboard preamps

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by JES, Apr 22, 2006.

1. JES

JES Supporting Member

Hi All,

This is a boring question, but let's say you had an acoustic bass guitar with no preamp on board -- what is a relatively cheap, reliable outboard pre with a notch filter and other goodies useful for acoustic instruments?

Thanks.

--JES

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

Not something I've messed with but there are a number of acoustic DI's. The Sans acoustics couple months back were going for about $80 or so. Don't know if you can get much cheaper than that. Notch filter I don't know about. You might try a search. They was an outboard preamp thread a couple years ago that had tons of info. and had all the current gear. I just pulled it up recently. One guy literally had them all (still had most of them) and gave good feeback on them, mentioning acoustics specifically. I wouldn't get hung up on the acoustic aspect from stuff I've read.

I've got a Sad and my guess is it would work well for acoustic - probably better than solidbody. The more natural the tone the better it seems to do - of least consequence with active pups. $200 used, $250 new.

3. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Fishman makes outboard preamps that are basically the same as the versions they install in acoustic basses and guitars. The Pro EQ Platinum Bass has notch filters and phase switches.

I own a Sansamp Acoustic DI, which is bombproof and pretty good in the sound department - it cleans up crispy piezos even without touching the EQ. There's a semi-parametric mid control that you can use against feedback - the only problem is that if you get feedback at two frequencies (it's happened to me on occasion with my Eminence), the mid control will only address one.

The Fishman can handle two frequencies with its notch and phase controls.

4. JES

JES Supporting Member

Thanks. This is really helpful. I noticed that the website attributes the automatic cleanup to the "sansamp circuitry" rather than anything specific to the DI. Anyone know if the BDDI can do the same?

5. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    The sansamp acoustic DI has a 4.5 megohm input for
    peizo pickups. I'm not sure if the BDDI has the same. The
    acoustic di works very well with my acoustic electric bass
    guitar. The sweepable mid control works well for feedback.

6. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

I used one of these (acoustic DI) with my Kydd EUB and it worked great as a buffer between the piezo and amp... and the tube emulation really took the 'clack' out of the piezo. Built like a tank, and a great DI to boot.

7. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    My friend uses an Acoustic DI with a Kydd bass too. It
    works very well for this application.