1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

acoustic pedal pre???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by will33, Oct 23, 2010.

1. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
  2. colcifer

colcifer Esteemed Nitpicker Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2010
    A Galaxy Far, Far Away
    Never tried one myself but have known about it for a while. Seems cool.

3. unlined4string

unlined4string Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Baltimore County, Md.
    I've compared my 360+ preamp with a real Acoustic 360 preamp, side by side. The 360+ is an extremely accurate copy of the original Acoustic 360 design, but with improved headroom, hotter output and lower noise floor. JC has made some improvements to the original design, and he uses some higher quality components. I've had no problems driving insensitive power amps with a 360+. It works very well with the Bergantino IP series cabs.

4. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Sounds cool, I was more curious than anything. Most of these guitar sim pedals like the bassman or deluxe don't sound or act much like the real thing, but then again, they're just effects pedals and not a real pre. This thing could give an actual 2nd pre/amp sound or just be an Acoustic amp for those who can't find one or want the sound and be able to up the power.

5. unlined4string

Mar 18, 2000
    Baltimore County, Md.
    Yes the Viva Analog 360+ is no simulation. Physically it's an exact reproduction of the original Acoustic 360 preamp schematic, except for certain (intentional) improvements. For a live gig either would do equally well, but for recording I prefer the 360+ to the original because it's less noisy. By the way I have no connection to the maker, I'm just a satisfied customer.

If you're thinking about ordering a 360+ ask JC about the "high headroom" mod. For players who aren't interested in intentionally overdriving the preamp, this mod can get you a bit more clean headroom compared to a stock 360+.

6. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    I'm not in the market for one, just didn't know it existed. Pretty cool idea, I suppose you could do it for other circuits as well, blackface, ampeg or whatever.

7. babaseen

babaseen bass for M'Taboo Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2001
    Boston, MA
    +1

8. beatsbears

beatsbears

Feb 22, 2011
    Portland, ME
    I stumbled upon these just the other day, seemed really cool. Kinda wish they made more of these in rack enclosures, I feel like i would worry about it less if i could throw it in a rack case with a power amp and call it a night.

9. unlined4string

Mar 18, 2000
    Baltimore County, Md.
    JD does make a rack mount version (or at least he used to). Same specs as the 360+ stomp box. It may not be shown on the web site. I'd email him if you're interested.