Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Acoustic Players

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by matty.donald, Mar 25, 2002.

1. hey guys!!

i've just got me a nice 'tanglewood' acoustic bass guitar!! - and it is nice!! i love it, if i'm in one of those mellow moods!!

anywayz, i was wondering if any of you knew an good acoustic players that i could listen to, 'cause i've just got into it and want see what people have done with the funky instrument!!

later

Matt

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Jonas Hellborg
    Jonas Hellborg
    Jonas Hellborg

Try "The Word", "Zen House", "Aram of the Two Rivers", "Good People in Times Of Evil", "The Silent Life", "Ocatve of the Holy Innocents" all of which have him playing acoustic bass guitar.

He also has recorded a lot on electric bass.

Hellborgs' web site, Bardo Records: http://bardorecords.com/idx.html

3. G

G

Apr 12, 2000
    MI
    Hmm... I seem to remember a certian Max Valentino... Doesn't he play an acousitc occasionally?

4. whoever plays with Paco De Lucia...WOW!!!!!!!

5. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Carles Benavent... though technically a 'semi-acoustic'... Custom 5 string modeled after a Gibson EB-2. But yeah... WOW!!!!!!

-robert

6. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Brian Ritchie from Violent Femmes...

-robert

7. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

Yes, you are correct, sir! I play acoustic almost exclusively these days. My CD, "A Caravan Of Dreams" is a good 90% acoustic bass guitar (only two tracks have any solidbody-electric). My choices: Godin A4 fretted 4 string and Godin A5 fretless 5 (with a high C).
    And...both Jonas Hellborg and Carles Benavent have been tremendous influences on me. I saw Jonas with his Wechter a few years back and was sold on that acoustic bass guitar sound.....
    If you are looking for recordings, there are but a few. Hellborg is most definitely a good start. I recommend "Good People In times Of Evil", "Zen House" and "The Silent Life" which is a solo acoustic bass guitar recording.
    Jerome Harris also has done some jazz stuff with a Taylor ABG, Benavent with Paco deLucia....awesome, also Eliseo Borrero has done some wonderful acoustic work with Strunz and Farah.
    Max Valentino

8. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

Oh...I almost forgot: 3 of my own solo acoustic bass guitar tunes (from the CD) are posted at mp3.com
    http://www.mp3.com/max_valentino
    check them out and you can e-mail me if you are interested in purchasing the CD.
    Thanks
    Max