Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Acoustic Question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by philzbass, Mar 3, 2006.

1. Ovation CCO74 vs Michael Kelly Dragonfly

Anyone have any comments on either one.

I like em both but I think the electronics on the ovation might be a little better. The Dragonfly really looks cool but I've only had the chance to play one, and not for very long. I know Ovation is a good acoustic company and I've played on several, liked em all, plugged and unplugged.

Anyway, just wanted to get some TB opinions.

Thanx

2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Dragonflies are way to "bling-bling" for my tastes. All those thin figured maple laminates, abalone around the sound hole, the inlay on the fingerboard - it's just too much. OTOH I despise Ovations on principle because they're mostly plastic. They're fine instruments, don't get me wrong, just not my personal preference.

3. GSRLessard14

GSRLessard14 All-Things-Claypool Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2005
    Newington, CT
    I've never played a MK Dragonfly... but all the reviews I've read of it, including one in BP, have been very positive. If i was going to be tricked (again) into thinking I could get a ABG that would be loud unplugged, I'd probably get a fretless Dragonfly.

4. Anyone else have an opinion on these models?