acoustic questions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Usul, Sep 13, 2000.

1. I am considering purchasing a "cheap" acoustic bass,but would like to get a bit of wisdom from my more learned webmates...

Any recomendations,suggestions,warinings?I don`t want to spend major bank.......just feel that an unplugged bass would suit me well i.e.quieter practicing(weekends i have the kids/vacations/etc.)

Can I play an acoustic the same way I play my bass?Do I have to use a pic????

I have been checking out,just to get some ideas on prices,etc.
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Frankly, I wouldn't buy an acoustic bass guitar just for practising/playing with a quieter volume, same w/ a practice amp, btw. I just use my preamp to plug into my stereo. Even though it has cheap speakers it handles even slapping amazingly well! And it almost sounds like recording direct in the studio. I'm able to practice at lower volume levels than those I have while listening to music. And of course I practice unplugged a lot with electrics - you can do that, too...
    The sound of an acoustic bass guitar is not really that good and most aren't that much louder than an unplugged electric,anyway...but I encourage you to check out several models at your local music store, if you're really interested in buying an acoustic BG - some korean makers offer astounding quality at amazingly low prices.
    You probably won't have to change your playing...but it's a different animal IMO - different sound and feel. Personally I've never thought of playing/buying one - not my kind of sound...

[Edited by JMX on 09-13-2000 at 04:54 AM]
  3. biscuit

Mar 6, 2000
    Virginia, USA
    I would agree that an acoustic bass is not any better for practicing than an unplugged electric. The acoustic basses I have played had a significantly different feel than normal electrics. The neck is fatter and the body is extremely thick compared to a solid-body electric. However, they do have a unique tone that electrics do not have.

If you are buying for that tone and not just to practice, I would recommend any korean made, 34" scale bass. Everything from Korea is made in the Samick factory, so there is very little difference in quality between the models. Washburn has some good models to choose from.

I would avoid short-scale basses because they are nearly impossible to get strings for. (That's why I sold my Guild acoustic.) I would also recommend trying a set of the black tape wound strings (only available in 34" scale). The nylon covering really helps to smooth out the piezo pick-up's tone and make it sound like a bass and not a jangly acoustic guitar.

4. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Does your amp have a headphone jack? If so....just plug in and play away...:)
  5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I know for a fact that Cort instruments are NOT made in the Samick factory, and neither were the Korean Squiers before they moved to Malaysia and China.
  6. Good points,all of you....

I will definately "test drive" a number of accoustics before/if I intend to buy.I will be out and about today so I plan on hitting a couple of music stores(the kids can hardly wait! ...NOT!).

There is a used music store that I think may have a good selection for me to puruse.

BTW,Denynn yes my amp does have a headphone jack and I thought about it but....I am one of them freaky ppl that hate things on my head!lol Guess that narrows my career options
    *sigh* no Air Traffic Control or Fast Food counter in my future... :(

Hope you guys have a great weekend!
  7. King David

King David

Dec 13, 1999
    I have tried a couple in the store. I haven't been blown away with the sound, but I wonder if flat wound strings would make any difference in the sound? Possibly a little better bass response?

8. Got to check out a couple accoustic basses today.And I do mean a couple cuz that was all I saw :oops:ne a/e bass in one shop and one in another.

Definately way differant than playing an electric!The necks seemed somewhat short and (of course the body was way fat!)

It was fun messing with them though.The only thing that was a bit awkward for me was when I played on the e-string.I usually place my thumb on the 1st p/u ,and since it was uneder the bridge...haha

Both the Cort and the Fender a/e were WAY out of my price range but maybe Santa Claus is listening? :p
  9. King David

King David

Dec 13, 1999
    Dean has one for about $350 and I think Epiphone does too. If you want to talk real expensive Taylor has one for $2400.