1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

acoustic sets.

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by MCBTunes, Apr 17, 2006.

1. So, when geeetar players decide a few acoustic songs fit well into the set to any of you pick up other instruments? The spoons, bongo drums, finger snapping, even a geeetar or do you just chill behind the scenes until you get to play again?

I'm ofcourse assuming you do not continue playing bass during these songs.

2. Ibanezzer

Ibanezzer

Aug 12, 2004
    Dayton, Ohio
    hmm.. I dunno but I would get bored if thats the case. Maybe you could do something small like spoons or just a little thing on the keys.

3. naja

naja

Oct 14, 2005
    East TN
    If they want to go acoustic without drums I usually bring the fretless out.

4. I usually do bass quieter - I've got this little thing I do to make it sound acoustic...play at the 15th-20th fret pressing down on the fretboard with your plucking finger - it kind of sounds like a standup...my mate once told me it sounded like a midi fretless bass (weather to take that as a compliment or an insult I don't know...midi sounds are supposed to be the "Best" sounds you can get, so good some of them aren't "real" enough...)

5. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I check out hot chicks at the bar. It's good networking.

6. "networking"..... genius... :)

7. Dkerwood

Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Midwest
    Why don't you bust out the acoustic bass? Good stuff there to be had.

I have a moral issue with the "band" doing songs that the majority of the group doesn't play on. It's just rather odd.

8. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Acoustic as in no amps or mics or amplified acoustic? If it is amplified acoustic I just keep playing. I have never been in a totally acoustic situation so I can't say what I would do.

9. DaftCat

DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    Same here. Can you ask the guitarist to try something acoustic where you(and/or others in the band) can sing?

10. Get an acoustic bass. We do an "unplugged" set (really acoustic guitars with amplification) and I use an Ibanez acoustic bass.

11. Dkerwood

Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Midwest
    Dean makes an acou/elec bass that sounds great unplugged... nice and loud. You'll probably want to upgrade the electronics for durability... but it's under $200 and sounds better/louder unplugged than anything short of a Takamine (at 6 or 7 hundred dollars more).

12. My Ibanez is certainly not loud enough to gig without amplification, but it does the job around the house or for rehearsal with acoustic guitars. It even sounds great amplified for "full volume" sets. I'll keep an eye out for the Dean, though.