1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Acoustic Simulator or Double Bass Preamp on Bass?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Guimdonatron, Mar 29, 2013.

1. I have been searching around about the acoustic simulator by Boss initially built for guitarists. I am curious to know what it sounds like on bass (or other acoustic simulators).

I play a Tom Clement fretless bass with tapewounds and it gets a pretty woody/earthy tone. I was wondering if the Acoustic Simulator on bass would open up the the woody sound and get closer to an upright tone.

Of course, I understand you can't get an identical upright tone, so lets refrain from comments like, "Get an upright." Plus, Tarus Mateen gets a pretty close upright tone, and by close I mean... wow! However, I don't have nearly $3,500 for the bass. And it's more about getting that round thump for the groove than it is about getting an exact upright tone. I watched James Carter Organ Trio and that organ had such a round bassy tone that I didn't care there was no bassist. It grooved hard!

In addition to using an acoustic simulator...
    How would a preamp built for a double bass sound on fretless? I feel like we should be able to get near the sound of a double bass with a pickup since it's no longer straight acoustic, right?

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I don't have experience with acoustic simulators, but I can say that "preamp built for DB" is not going to get you much. They tend to be very clean, with minimal tone options. The main purposes of a preamp for DB are buffering of weak piezo output, blending the pickup with a mic, and reduction of feedback/boom/mud via subtractive EQ. None of those will get a more DB sound from a BG.

3. Thanks for the info, bongomania. I had a feeling such would be the case, but figured might as well ask since I've never tested it myself.

Wish I had some local guitar shops that actually carried bass gear!

4. Rossman59

Rossman59

Apr 23, 2007
    Evanston, IL.
    I have a Boss AC-2 and it will definitely not make your bass sound like an upright. But I've found in using it that it can kind of create an acoustic - electric bass sound. It can also make your bass sound pretty fat. My unit is pretty noisy though, so keep an eye (or ear) out for that.

All in all, it's an effect sound that you either like or you don't. And I like it. Just need to see if I can find one with less noise.

5. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    SansAmp paradriver?? I've heard people use those with their uprights. Not sure if this is what you're looking for though.

6. Bassmike62

Bassmike62 GAS resistance is utterly futile... Supporting Member

Our band plays one Chuck Berry and a couple of Stray Cats tunes. Not looking to get a pure upright/early basses tone, but could this pedal fake it well enough ? For good measure, I could even add the Marshall Echohead I use on acoustic guitar to get a slapback delay, just to complete the illusion ? I"m absolutely not looking to go upright bass myself.

7. ThudThudThud

ThudThudThud

Jun 4, 2010
    I used to use a fretted ABG with a little reverb and a little low octave/sub bass added. Sounded quite authentic. With a fretless solidbody I think you could get close. Use the reverb to add "body" rather than a room ambience.

8. Steve Dallman

Steve Dallman Supporting Member

The Boss AC-2 boosts the bass and treble and cuts the mids, not what you'd want for simulating an acoustic bass tone. Now the Paradriver has a dedicated mid, and makes a fine preamp. I use the Behringer knockoff with my acoustic (not upright) bass.

On my Variax, there are two acoustic bass models, one an ABG (with bronzewound strings) and a Kay upright. They are worlds apart. Many complain about the upright model, but it really depends on the amp used. It sounds great with my Ampeg, and I had a Kay upright for years.

The tone has an attack, with quick decay. My fretless can get close with the right midrange (I use Labella tapewounds) and some judicious palm muting. Foam under the strings by the bridge might help. The attack has some "body" and I suppose a little reverb might really help.

9. Rossman59

Rossman59

Apr 23, 2007
    Evanston, IL.
    Hey Bassmike62, I not sure this pedal can get any kind of upright sound, which to me always has a natural woody part to it.

To me it can really give round sound to a bass. It sounds a little bit like a mini VT Bass, as strange as that might be. I really like this pedal, it's just too noisy for me. Could be just this one.

Check one out if you get a chance, I think you might like it on it's own merits.

10. Bassmike62

Bassmike62 GAS resistance is utterly futile... Supporting Member

thx Rossman