1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Acoustic strings on an electric bass?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Levin, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Levin

Levin

Oct 30, 2012
    Sweden
    The thought just hit me, what would it sound like, if you took for example TI:s Acousticore and put them on an electric bass? Anyone tried?

2. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    Magnetic pickups are designed to work with steel strings. Bronze strings will loose 2/3rds or more of the volume compared to steel strings. The nylon core of the TIs means they won't work at all with a magnetic pickup.

3. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    The Sam Ash by me has a MIA Fender jazz with bronze strings. I asked the guy and he was like "yeah, they're like these gold strings, they're good for like...the sound..." and then he kinda trailed off and slowly walked away.

4. Levin

Levin

Oct 30, 2012
    Sweden
    Ah, I see! Thanks : ] so only strings with a steel core, no matter the outer layers, will work on electric basses then. I wonder how the Labella Brass wound sounds like.

5. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    If you install a piezo bridge pickup, TI Acousticore strings sound phenomenal (especially on fretless).

6. Levin

Levin

Oct 30, 2012
    Sweden
    It just so happened I was struck by fretless with piezo-fever last week! An old Godin Z1. So am going to try Acousticores finally!