Acoustic strings on an electric?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Sheep Man, Oct 8, 2000.

1. I'm not exactly too sure where this should go, so I'm gonna stick with miscellaneous.
    Anyway, what would happen if you were to put acoustic strings on an electric bass (or guitar, I guess...)? Would you blow something up, or would it just do soemthing like change the tone, if anything at all? :confused:
  2. Super Chicken

Super Chicken

Aug 17, 2000
    Acoustic strings are bronze wich is non-magnetic. So assuming that the strings dont have a steel core, nothing would happen. But then again, most ABG strings arent composed entierly of bronze these days, so you might get some sound but It would probly be weak. But what do I know im just a chicken!!!!!! BOK BOK!!!!
  3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Shouldn't that be "bok BOK bok BAAAAWWWWWWWWK"?
  4. Actually, I thought it was more of a "BECKAAAAAAWWWWW!" kinda sound, but maybe that's just a scared chicken. Or...yeah, whatever.
    Anyway...I was wondering because for some odd reason when I was in the music store yesterday & the day before (gotta let my mom know what I wanna buy. :D :p ) I noticed they had more acoustic bass strings in stock than usual, and I just started wondering.
    Besides, those gold-ish strings would look kinda neat on an electric...or at least I think so. :D
  5. Player

Dec 27, 1999
    USA Cincinnati, OH
    He will drink his super sauce and throw the bad guys for a loss and he will bring them in alive and kickin'.
    There is one thing you should learn when there is no one else to turn to... Call for Super Chicken.....Call for Super Chicken.
  6. Jennifer

Jul 31, 2000
    Erie, Illinois
    Cluck cluck, chic-KEEEENNNNN!!
  7. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Moved to strings, so the thread can have a second chance...

Will C.:cool:
  8. The above statements are not quite correct (except for the bit about the chicken). Acoustic strings are not made of bronze as such, but rather an alloy containing bronze. They are "recognised" by magnetic pups, there are many magnetic soundhole pups on the market for acoustic guitars, and even for acoustic basses. As for suitability, I have not tried them, but they are brighter than regular electrics, and I think may be too twangy. Conversely, I do know from experience that acoustic basses tend to sound better with electric strings on them (IMO), in fact Fender acoustic basses (the best cheap acoustic bass on the market) come with electric strings from the factory.
  9. D'Addario used to make strings called XLReds which were copper based as I recall. I remember buying a set around 1981. I can't remember what the tone was like, but I don't remember it being radically different than nickel or stainless steel roundwounds - maybe a little darker. The thing that was really bad about them is the fact that they would oxidize really quickly and eventually they would turn green! I guess that's normal for copper things.
  10. ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Yeah--I remember the XLReds. They would turn your fingers green as well!!!

I recall that they had a decent tone and were pretty cheap at the time!!