1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Acoustic Strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by baltodoc, Feb 7, 2016.

1. baltodoc

baltodoc Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2014
    Maryland
    I'm looking for advice on acoustic strings. I'll be playing some acoustic classic rock and country. What are your favorite brands?

2. MD

MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
    I run LaBella 760N tapes on both my ABG's. Haven't felt a need to search for anything else.
    Before the tapes I had TI Acousticores, but the low tension rendered them useless when it came to campfire/acoustic volume. They sound nice though.

3. Will_White

Will_White

Jul 1, 2011
    Salem, OR
    The copper white nylon tapes from labella work nice.

4. AndreasK

AndreasK

Jun 11, 2014
    Northern Norway
    GHS Black Nylon Tapewound for me. Tapes was a revolution for ABG imho. A little less volume, but i suppose your amplified?? Tone and feel is to die for!

5. Most ABG's are pretty much useless beyond home practice until you plug them in. Tapewounds IMHO
    are the best choice. I have D'addario tapes on my Fender acoustic and I think they sound great.

jd56hawk likes this.
  6. ColdEye

ColdEye Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    I used to have flats on my ABG. I recently tried La Bella copper tapes and they are staying there forever. I really like it (plugged or unplugged). I bought a backup set already for it.

7. Ox Boris

Ox Boris Banned

Nov 23, 2015
    Australia
    I just went from Warwick: 45-65-85-105 (Warwick Red Bronze Acoustic) to Ernie Ball Earthwood: 45-55-80-95 and straight back again! They were awfully twangy and I didn't have time to break them in before an audition. Even so, I don't think breaking them in is going to improve them enough for me to like them. going from 105-95 didn't agree with me at all.

8. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    Worry that I'll lose unplugged volume, makes me still use Phosphor Bronze strings on my ABG, though many times tempted to try other strings.

It's D'Addario EXP Coated Phosphor Bronze EXPPBB170-5 (45-65-80-100-135).

9. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    D'Adarrio Black Tapewounds. I put them on a Dean Exotica, needed only the slightest truss rod tweak, and the bass sounds incredible. Talk about the perfect tone...this is it.
    I wouldn't play it on a street corner or at a backyard barbecue unless it was plugged in, but I recently bought a battery-operated Roland Micro Cube Bass RX and it's just the thing.

1stnamebassist likes this.