1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Acoustic Vs. Avatar

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 4stringPhlegm, Apr 10, 2010.

1. Avatar

56 vote(s)
    86.2%
  2. Acoustic

9 vote(s)
    13.8%
  1. 4stringPhlegm

4stringPhlegm

May 17, 2009
    Amp companies Acoustic and Avatar have various similarities
    1.Both names start with the letter A :p
    2. Both are marketed towards budgeted consumers
    3. Both have excellent reviews

So which do you think is better?
    Please compare similar models (ex. 4x10=4x10 Not 2x12=1x15).:bassist:

2. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois
    I'm guessing you mean Avatar bass cabinets compared to "Guitar Center's Acoustic" bass cabinets?
    ...Avatar bass cabinets...
    Uses a tried and proven ported cab design.
    Their very well built using plywood.
    Their Neo speakers and horns are from the same manufacturer as the high-dollar, brand-name cabinet makers use.
    They sell below what the high-dollar cabs go for because they've cut out the middle-man, (music stores.)
    Their made in the U.S.A.
    And the main thing...IMHO, they sound very good.
    Avatar's down side...you can't try before you buy.
    ...G.C. Acoustic bass cabinets...
    Sealed box, which you may prefer.
    Presswood, heavy.
    Speakers and horns from???
    Their "very" inexpensive.
    Made in China.
    I agree, G.C. Acoustic is marketed towards budgeted consumers but, IMO, Avatar offers some of the better inexpensive cabinets on the market.

3. 4stringPhlegm

4stringPhlegm

May 17, 2009
    That would be correct.

4. I tried an Avatar 210 that a buddy has in his recording studio. It barked pretty early in the volume settings - and that's why he has it in a sortta storage area, looking for someone who wants that one for practice.

I'm not impressed by them even if they have a long track record and signature speakers as legacy units.

Sorry - for several reasons I prefer the GC/Acoustic.

INSTANT - no questions asked - replacement at GC if something goes wrong.
    GC's trade-in availability and extended PRO-Warranty setup + trial period.
    Multiplicity of GC sites
    Hands-on testing and trial in store.
    Sound and power is awesome.
    Watts-per-buck

5. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I agree, though both are "budget" cabs, the Avatars actually are quality budget cabs, where Acoustic is just plain budget.

6. Acoustic-Made in China?
    I would rather support an smaller American company if given the choice!

7. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois
    Not doubting your experience, Avatar isn't for everyone, but the same can be said for every manufacturers cabinets.
    The Avatar barking early surprises me though.
    I can drive one of my 8 ohm, 500 watt cap., Avatar Neo 210's with my G.K. MB2-500 to some pretty loud levels before it cuts out. Of course it's not heavy metal rock volume levels, (it's "only" two 10's.) But, I have used just one of my 210's with FOH in a loud, 6 pcs., country/rock band with much success.

8. mcm

mcm

Oct 2, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    no contest- avatar

9. I accidentally voted for Acoustic. I'm for Avatar, their built quality very solid, sound great and made in USA. Besides they use Speakon connectors. Acoustic doesn't, that's important too me since that's all I use for cables.

Acoustic is cheap budget minded equipment, you get what you pay for.:smug:

10. Big John66

Big John66

Feb 12, 2008
    I've been gigging pretty steady with an Avatar b410 neo for the last year. I'm still astounded at the tone and spl this cab produces, espcially since I paid $225.00 for it used.

It's not the most high end cab in terms of build quality but the bang for your buck ratio is off the charts.

I haven't played through the new Acoustic stuff but it would have to be pretty impressive for me to move from the Avatar stuff.

11. So with the accidental miss vote adjusted that makes it 20 to 1 in favor of Avatar! that says something around this forum! :)

12. rptrsn2

rptrsn2

Feb 21, 2008
    Northeast Missouri
    Endorsing Artist: Aurora Strings
    i'd say that cab has some kind of issue, i've pushed my 210 awful hard and never had any prob. as far as gc support good luck. my son had an issue with a guitar cab from avatar and dave took care of him imediatly. i have equipment that has had problems and haven't gotten squat for support from gc.

13. trjazzluva05

trjazzluva05

Jul 14, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    I've played both of them and I voted for th Acoustic. Although made from cheaper components than the Avatar, the tone was a lot better IMO. I tried the Avatar at a gospel and the sound was not worth all the hype. Plus I don't car for "plastic" tweeters, but Acoustic's tweet sounded more natural than Avatars. As for as Avatars speakers, I'm sure they're more durable but I'm sure the Acoustic would be reliable as well. Its the player who decides that.

14. sirstickykey

sirstickykey

Apr 26, 2010
    i own an acoustic 410.
    i have absolutely no problems with it.

and its way lighter than my previous cab.

but i think avatar will probably be lighter and with the neo magnets and construction.
    also avatar has customizable finishes.
    but are about twice the price of my 410.

im gonna go with acoustic

15. Beasty76

Beasty76

Aug 7, 2009
    Swansea, IL
    I love my Avatar B410 and get many compliments on its sound. I have also played through various Acoustic amps at GC and they are not terrible, but they are not Avatar quality either.

16. I have an acoustic 200w head and 1x15 cab. It gets the job done, sounds good. Lookin at gettin a 4x10 for it.
    Ive tried an avatar and it was eh. didnt know anything about them prior, so no bias from anything, tried it b4 i tried the acoustic lol. so eh

17. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

May 20, 2008
    Oh no, it's alive. Both have their purpose. Acoustic - "My kid can't decide whether he wants to be Flee or another Hank Aaron. What's cheap?" Avatar - My band's touring Nebraska's little cow town bars for the next two months. What's cheap and will hold up?"