acoustic vs electric

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by homerej, Oct 21, 2002.

1. homerej

Oct 21, 2002
    Please help.

I am considering purchasing my first bass and don't understand the benefits of the an electric vs acoustic. I will be playing primarily with acoustic guitars or electric acoustic guitars. Mostly at home.

I see the cost of a basic electric is much less than an acoustic which is a factor in my decision. What is a recommended setup for a good beginning acoustic with amp and a good beginning electric with amp.
  2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    By "acoustic" I'm assuming you mean an acoustic bass guitar and not an upright bass; am I correct in this assumption? If so, I would definitely go with a solid-body electric for your first bass. Less fragile and easier to uprgrade, and less expensive is also an important factor when purchasing an instrument you may not opt to continue playing (you can always turn your volume down when playing with acoustic guitars). A basic setup for home practice can consist simply of a bass, a cord, and a practice amp (15-50 watts), although you will need a more powerful amplifier if you plan to gig at some point. Hartke offers a nice starter pack with all your basics for under $300 at