Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Acoustic w/ low strings?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by lemur821, Jul 23, 2005.

1. I've been wondering lately about whether it would be possible to make an acoustic bass with a string pitched at F#, or even C# (fourths descending from B). Come to think of it, I haven't even seen acoustics with B strings. Is that even possible? By "possible" I mean possible with decent volume; of course you could construct and string one.

Doesn't necessarity have to be an acoustic bass guitar, something more similar in size to an upright would be cool too. I know a B will work on one of those.

I don't think anyone here actually makes acoustics, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

So what do you guys think?

2. andvari7

andvari7

Aug 28, 2004
    Ennui
    It's possible. Quite possible, in fact. I've seen - no, played - acoustic basses with B strings.

Getting strings will be a pain to get, and the tuners may have to be custom, but it can work.

As for people here making acoustics, you are quite wrong (and that's not at all a bad thing; you can't find these things out without asking). I've seen some pretty nice acoustic basses here.

What you would have to do is this:
    1. Be sure you have a steady supply of strings. You'll need that.
    2. Make sure the scale length is long enough to accommodate the big strings. An upright, or double bass, would work pretty well.
    3. Have the nut slots cut for those strings. Not difficult, but something that must be considered.
    4. I think the bridge may have to be custom-sized, too.

3. It's nice to be wrong. :cool:

An upright would be cool, but getting strings would be an even bigger pain for it, due to the length.

4. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    Prescottissimo, who posts every now and then on the DB side has said he has a five stringer with a low f# extension.