1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Acoustic Wood Advantages

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Baldo, Apr 30, 2009.

1. Baldo

Baldo

Mar 30, 2009
    Just wondering the advantages of using Acoustic Woods when Building Your Own Bass Guitar?

2. JanVanHove

JanVanHove

Apr 27, 2009
    Brussels, Belgium
    Founder, Jan Van Hove Basses
    Acoustic Woods? I'm not sure I understand the question...

What is it that you call acoustic woods?

3. Like spruce, mohagany, ceder.... ect. I think thats what he means, anyway

4. JanVanHove

JanVanHove

Apr 27, 2009
    Brussels, Belgium
    Ok, so using the woods normally used in acoustic guitar construction in the construction of solid body instruments?

hmm....

*grabs popcorn, prepares for tonewood thread*

5. Baldo

Baldo

Mar 30, 2009
    Yes that is what i mean! if you could answer it that would be great

6. JanVanHove

JanVanHove

Apr 27, 2009
    Brussels, Belgium
    Well the general tendency for solid body instrument is to use hardwoods, and the spruce and cedar used in acoustic instruments are very light and soft compared to say maple, ash or bubinga...

Personally I don't see any advantage in using soft wood...

7. Any wood that has been used for backs & sides of acoustic guitars can be used for building solidbodies.

The soundboards of acoustics are typically softwoods (spruce, cedar) and can also be used, but with care taken to (first) not use them in structural areas (like to support the neck, or used in the neck) and (second) to finish them in such a way as they won't get dinged and bashed.

I know a guy who made a solid spruce-bodied jazzmaster guitar, and it sounded pretty cool. Bright and open.