Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Acoustic

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tames, Sep 23, 2004.

1. Tames

Tames

Dec 31, 2002
    Decatur, IL, USA
    I've seen cabinets and amps and PA stuff from a company called Acoustic (?) I THINK. If anyone has any information about the company or a link to a website, please hook me up!

P.S.
    The logo is all white lower-case letters inside a blue rounded rectangle...? Anything?

P.P.S.
    I wasn't sure to put this in here... and I was kinda thinking searching for the word "Acoustic" wasn't really going to get me anywhere. Found that one out with Google.

2. Tames

Tames

Dec 31, 2002
    Decatur, IL, USA
    Dang, I had no idea that they were long gone! That's pretty funny because right after I posted that, I was flipping through TV channels and the movie Josie & the Pussycats (2001) was on. They were at the end where the girls were about to play a gig or something... and the back stage area was completely draped in banners baring the Acoustic logo.. then when it showed them performing, all the PA cabinets and amps said Acoustic on them. Crazy stuff.

3. fcoda

fcoda

Jan 23, 2002
    Nanuet,NY
    I think I read somewhere that Samick had bought the rights and was going to reissue the Acoustic Amp line - that was last year and I haven't seen anything on it since

4. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Samick did show some Acoustic bass amps at the NAMM show a few years ago (I saw pictures) and I've seen newer Acoustic PA cabinets at a store, but they didn't have any bass amps at the time and didn't know when they'd get them.

The "Josie" Acoustics were all Samick...as were the instruments IIRC.

5. dont

dont

Jul 25, 2004
    dontwyman@lycos.com
    I have an Acoustic 320 head and a 401 bottom with an EV 4 ohm 15 that I bought in 1980. The thing will still kick some serious butt, though I rarely ever use it. This speaker was not standard; I wanted it rather than the stock one to get to 4 ohms and get 160 watts out of the cab. I played this thing through a 404 cab at the store when I bought it---the four 15 cab Acoustic used to make; unbelievable volume and power, but a major hernia-producer.
    Acoustic made great equipment for their time. My understanding is that their "lifetime" warranty put them out of business.

6. Rock&Roll

Rock&Roll

Jul 21, 2002
    USA
    dont:
    You said you wanted a four ohm cabinet for 160watts. You might already know this, but your 320 will do 2ohms just fine. Closer to 300 watts with 2 ohms. But, then that means buying another 15". I'd understand not following that one up.

Tames:
    Yes those are "Acoustic" brand amplifiers used in the movie. They were part of the "reisues" that were supposed to be for sale back in 1998 or 1999. So it's been a while. I actually tried to call samick a few years ago, they told me that the re-issues were discontinued. I saw one guy on ebay selling the 361 reissue cabinets that were never loaded with drivers from the factory, and still mint. Samick really screwed the pooch on this though. These amps were anything but a re-issue.

The original 360/361PP combination they were tyring to replace was a single channel preamp head with a single 18" cerwin vega in a rear loading folded horn powerd cabinet. Instead, they made a amplifier system that looked similar, but was a 2 channel preamp/amplifier head and a V-loaded 2x15 cabinet. :meh:

I've read from some people, that by considering things is true legal terms, Samick really doesn't own the right to use the "Acoustic" brand name. Rather, the guy that runs http://www.acousticcontrolcorporation.com has been rumored to be the one that bought such rights and all the remaining parts and pieces that were left over at Acoustic's main shop in CA.

Acoustic was great, and they were company with a lot of history from the day when Sunn and Kustom were the other big dogs pushing the envelope of high quality amplifier and loudspeaker manufacturing. If you search the web, there is a guy floating arround named Harvey Gerst. He was a employee of Acoustic; probably a high up engineer or something. If I am correct, I think he also worked for JBL and was the designer for the legenday D140F speakers when they replaced the 130A for bass applications. He might have designed the 361 cabinet for all I know. I seem to be forgetting these little details. The articles that you can find Harvey Gersat on are some pretty good reads if you are interested in all things musical equipment.

7. dont

dont

Jul 25, 2004
    dontwyman@lycos.com
    I realized the 2 ohm part; I wanted one reasonably sized cab. That EV 15 by itself weighs a ton though. And it really didn't need another speaker.

8. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    Anybody want my Acoustic 450 head?

9. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Todd...you ought to run it up the eBay flag pole or put an ad up on the board at www.acoustic360.com

There are other notable folks associated with Acoustic...Steve W. Rabe who worked at Amplified Music Products aka AMP (producers of the infamous BH-420...the forerunner to the Thunderfunk head that Dave(?) Funk is building just up the road from me). Steve went on to found SWR (his initials) and later Raven Labs. Russ Allee worked at Acoustic, AMP and then went on to Eden Electronics with the famous David Eden (I mean Nordschow). So the Acoustic spirit is alive and well!!!

10. wideload

wideload

Apr 15, 2004
    An Acoustic 370 with the CV 18" folded horn was my first bass amp, and I gigged with it for 8 years. Sounded just fine for the time, never short of thump. Got tired of moving that bigass box pretty quick, tho..
    Larry

11. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

check out my avatar ...

i loved the sound of my 360/361 ...
    i used this setup for about five years , never had any problems
    other than the weight .