Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Acoustic

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Pmutch, Dec 21, 2004.

1. Pmutch

Pmutch

Jan 16, 2003
    Hey everyone I used to play bass but I eventually gave that up. It was a kinda of a spur of the moment thing. Music is my life. I've been listening to acoustic music lately and I'm blown away. Now I'm really wanting to learn to play acoustic. I've always favored acoustic over electric and bass. Can anyone point me in the right direction of a cheaper but good guitar. thanx in advance.

2. In before the Move.

Well, your best bet might be something like a Tacoma or a Mid-Range Fender. They run around $400-$600, and are usually pretty nice instruments. They aren't going to sound anything like a D16 or 414CE or anything like that, but they won't sound like a barrel with strings, either.

Rock on
    Eric

3. :eyebrow:

4. Pmutch

Pmutch

Jan 16, 2003
    It baffled me too and $400-$600 isn't cheap for a beginner guitar.

5. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    You can get Fender acoustics for less than $400. Fender is by no means tops in the acoustic world, but they're a semi-reliable company, which is more than can be said for those Carlo Robelli instruments. Ibanez might make a cheap acoustic too; I find that their acoustic instruments tend to sound better than those of Fender. There are tons of no-name brands who make acoustics that are good enough to last you until you're ready to move up.

6. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    Check your local Sam Ash store or there on-line store. There
    having a closeout on the Brownsville Acoustic Basses (ABG).
    There around 200 bucks. They also have some of there house brand Carlo Robeli for around $239.00. :)

7. A: This should probably be over in Miscellanious, hence the In Before the Move (remember the IBTL thing?)

B: The cheaper you go with acoustics, well, the cheaper you get. The Yamahas and Fenders for the $200 bracket are piles of fecal matter:D. I know, I know, it's all a matter of opinion, but having sold so many of those things, and had so many come back because the cutomer didn't like them, I can safely tell you to stay away from them.

However, HollowMan did bring up an idea that I totally forgot about. Ibanez DOES have a relativley nice acoustic for around $270, if my memory serves. Granted, it's bright purple, but it does sound good, plays well, and comes with electronics. Might be what you are looking for. There are a few models by Olympia, which is a sub-company of Tacoma, that might fit your price bracket, but I'm not sure who accessable they are to you. I keep hearing different things from different people: Some say that Tacoma is available everywhere, and others that it's only here in the Northwest. I think you can get it elsewhere, but I'm not sure. I'm not elsewhere, I'm here.

Rock on
    Eric

8. Pmutch

Pmutch

Jan 16, 2003
    I seen some Washburns that looked good. Are Washburns any good?

9. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    I work with a guy that has a Washburn acoustic and really enjoys playing it. It might be worth a look, anyway.

For what it's worth, I helped mom pick out a Washburn banjo for my dad to start on this past weekend. I was really impressed with how it sounded and played.

10. FUNKonthewall

FUNKonthewall Nailing The Groove

Sep 29, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Endorsing: Fodera Guitars, Aguilar Amps, Dunlop/MXR Accessories
    I had an Epiphone and it sounded top notch. I got it for $350 new.

11. Pmutch

Pmutch

Jan 16, 2003
    Alright kool. I seen an Epiphone for cheap I'll have to check it out. I'm stiil leaning towards a cheaper Washburn just to learn the basics. When I get comfortable, I'll progress on to something more expensive. Any more suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanx for the previous ones as well. I just hope I'll still be accepted here at TB even though I'm not a bass player no more.

12. ::shun::

Too late, I've already shunned you.

Rock on
    Eric

13. I just picked up a Taylor 214 the other day. Love it. Love it love it love it.

14. Pmutch

Pmutch

Jan 16, 2003
    i'll check it out

15. Esteban makes an excellent acoustic. :bag: