Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Acousticore ADGG strings detuned to EADG

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Earthkiss, Aug 15, 2005.

1. Earthkiss

Earthkiss

Feb 16, 2004
    Hi,

I'd like to discuss getting an Double Bass sound with my electric fretless.

I have a Martin Peterson lightwave bass which you can see here... http://www.seibass.com/millensemi.jpg

I've been using Thomastik Acousticore strings which in combination with the lightwave pickup have a great acoustic vibe.

After reading some posts on getting an upright sound I thought about how to appoximate the complex tone of an upright bass and tried the following things:

1) Raised my action to eliminate the fretless whine/buzz
    2) Plucked the strings real hard near the neck.
    3) Observed that the string tension of the acousticores, even as low as it is, causes the tone of a note to become dull quite quickly even though the volume sustains well.
    4) In order to make plucking a high action with a hard attack easier, and to allow the string to vibrate in a more complex unchoked manner, I tried detuning The A, D and G strings to E, A and D respectively.

The result was the best upright bass approximation I've ever heard. The strings sound in tune at the lower tension and vibrate with a much more complex pattern which sounds remarkably close to the longer scale upright bass strings.

I'd be interested in other players' experiences along these lines.

Thanks,

John

2. I don't know about eliminating the fretless buzz. URBs have some buzz too (depending on setup), and that's one of my favorite things about them. A mute by the bridge helps a lot, since the URB doesn't have so much sustain. I find that shoving a sock under the strings does a good job. It's best if it covers a decent area. I didn't find that tuning down did much for my sound, but that may be because our rigs are different.