Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Acousticore Strings

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by kezekiel, Mar 5, 2001.

1. kezekiel

kezekiel

Sep 24, 2000
    I just got a Rick Turner Renaissance 4 string fretless, and I love it. I'm wondering, though, do the Acousticore strings come in a heavier gauge, and if so, would it be adviseable to try them out on this bass? Any anticipated intonation/neck strain worries?

I love the feel and the tone of the strings, I just wish they had more bottom end to them.

Kevin

2. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Hi Kevin,

as far as I know the Tomostiks only come in one guage, but if the problem is bottom end, you might want to try tweaking the bass control, which is located via a little screw near the jack socket - you can turn up the level of bass to whatever works for you and balances best with your set up. I can't imagine that with that on full you'll need any more bass - if you do, I don't think heavier strings will help - you need a couple of 22" bass drivers! :oops:)

The instructions for setting the bass control should have been on the tag that came with your bass. If not, just tweak the two little white screws - one is volume and one is bass... it's pretty easy to tell which is which when you turn 'em... :oops:)

My guess is that the shop that you bought it from had turned the control down to make it some more like a normal bass-less ABG, rather than allowing the unique sound of the bass to come through - congrats on buying such a cool bass. I love my Ren, and find it compliments the sounds of my other basses really well - once you've played one, there are certain things that no other bass does properly! :oops:)

cheers

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk

3. kezekiel

kezekiel

Sep 24, 2000
    >>I love my Ren, and find it compliments the sounds of my other basses really well - once you've played one, there are certain things that no other bass does properly! :oops:) <<

This bass comes closer to any I've tried at getting that elusive sound I've been going for: woody but a little grungy and growly, and "breath-y". I can't describe it better than that, but I plan to record some licks some time soon and post them so that folks get an idea. By the way, while I wouldn't dream of plugging in my Ibanez without my SansAmp, to do so to the Ren only seems to detract from its natural tone, even after messing with the controls some. It sounds best when I flatten out the EQ on my SWR and just let the Ren be the Ren.

My local guitar tech said he can't understand why Rick doesn't sell a lot more of these...

Kevin

P.S.: The tag does show where to find the adjustment screws, so I'll play with it some.

4. Russell C

Russell C

Jun 23, 2015