Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Acoustic's 26" Woofer

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ROCKBOBMEL_old, Jun 24, 2001.

1. I went to Acoustic-mu.com
    and they make a model SBT 2.6 subwoofer that has a 26" cone. I couldn't read the fine print (webtv), but check it out. It is crossed at 80hz.

What a monster!

2. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Electro Voice makes a 30" Speaker.
    But all things past 18" have very low efficiency.
    Freq Response is about 10hz to 100Hz max.
    IT needs a lot of damping factor in the amp, or they will sound extremely flabby.
    NOT GOOD FOR BASS GUITAR

3. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    ~BOB, I'm startin' to worry about you :p (j/k!).
    Sorry for the "lines", it's a 3-part pic/datasheet.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. MikeyD

MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    Not true. Larger radiators are often *more* efficient than smaller ones. There is a lot of acoustic theory behind it.
    Probably correct.
    This is a good point.
    Quite true, unless one wants to blast people with huge fundamentals from a subwoofer! It's certainly not too good by itself without some higher frequency coverage.
    - Mike

5. MikeyD

MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    Yeah- I am too!!! I think Bob started a thread early today complaining his sound wasn't punchy enough (from his 2x15" cabinet - see the 2-15 vs. 4-10 thread)! We had some considerable discussion about mitigating the situation with 10" driver cabinets. Now this!! Bob, are you okay??? I really doubt that Acoustic's 1x26" will address your "lack of punchiness" concerns. :D
    - Mike

6. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    But Mikey...you gotta admit, with the proper power and dampening...a 26" really WOULD be punchy...course, it'd be a super sub low gut punch, that might move the whole room over a coupla inches, but punchy none the less, right?;):D

7. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Punchy?
    That thing could never be punchy..
    I believe that stopping that thing takes a lot of effort, and the cone may break.
    UHmm
    I would prefeer a 6th Bandpass Dual Iso 18" as a subwoofer..
    Want rumble? You got it..

8. I just thought it was interesting. It is the first monster that is available now.
    It must be for THX theaters.
    I am OK. I walked away from a "gear" situation tonight and went home with my 2-15 I was going to trade.

9. MikeyD

MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    Actually, *monster* cabinets have always been available. Cerwin Vega, EAW, Klipsch, and others have probably been making these things for theaters and arenas all along. Maybe not with 26" cones, but hey... there is more than one way to crack plaster.
    - Mike