acoustics problem

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by metalgod502, Feb 19, 2004.

1. metalgod502

metalgod502 Guest

Sep 22, 2003
    il. U.S.A.
    i had no idea where to put this so if its in the wrong place just move it

In my band we have a problem with the sound. Icant hear myself over the guitar. i cant hear what the guitar player is playing, it just sounds like noise. my guitar player cant hear himself. and the drums just overpower everything. its not that were not loud enough because we have good equipment. i have and ampeg svt 4 pro amp. my guitar player has a really loud half stack and yet no matter how loud we crank it up we still have the same problem. is there a way to position our amps or something so that we can hear everything?
  2. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    These things are hard to diagnose over the internet but I'll try.

I have a funny feeling the guitarist is standing too close to his amp, so all the sound is going through his legs. If he's standing closer than 6ft away and the amp is on the floor, this could be the problem. Maybe get him to stand further away or tild his cab back a bit fo it's blowing noise at his ears.

Th other possible cause is that your guitarist might have too much bottom end dialed into his tone, causing his frequencie sto compete with yours. It's also likely that he's playing too loud (most guitarists do).

How many watts are you using? How many watts is he using?
  3. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    Another possibility is that you are all too loud and your ears are saturating, resulting in the "noise" you're describing.
  4. metalgod502

metalgod502 Guest

Sep 22, 2003
    il. U.S.A.
    well im using 1600 hes using about 1400.
  5. metalgod502

metalgod502 Guest

Sep 22, 2003
    il. U.S.A.
    i mean hes using 400
  6. metalgod502

metalgod502 Guest

Sep 22, 2003
    il. U.S.A.
    well i doubt its the too loud thing because we have experimented with that kind of stuff and it doesnt really help
  7. Kurisu

Nov 19, 2003
    Saskatoon SK
    It could be that all you're playing is noise. :)

but, wow, guitarist with 400 watts... What are you playing, outdoor bandstands?
  8. Trust us. You're all playing too loud. Also, his stack is putting out too much bottom end.
  9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    He's too loud, the drummer's too loud, you're too loud. You're all just too danged loud. Don't "experiment. Just turn everything down. Way down. Problem solved.

Next? Next, please.
  10. Kurisu

Nov 19, 2003
    Saskatoon SK
    man, I laughed out loud Munjibunga. :cool:
  11. metalgod502

metalgod502 Guest

Sep 22, 2003
    il. U.S.A.
    well its the drummer thats too loud he thinks loud=good. i mean he uses marchin sticks for god sakes

but still id think wed be able to overpower him with our amps
  12. Kurisu

Nov 19, 2003
    Saskatoon SK
    yah, but why... why?
    Do you hate your eardrums? Did you wake up one day and say "I'm going to make you bleed"?

I think amps are a bit like nukes - escalation is not the answer.
  13. notanaggie

notanaggie Guest

Sep 30, 2003
    Assuming you are bridged into 4, and you ain't loud enough, I agree its too dang loud.

Either all line up and stick needles in your ears, or get quieter, or raise your cabinets up or something.

My question is, if you can't hear yourself, and the guitar player can't hear himself (or you, maybe), how do you guys stay synched? I don't think I could do it.

Hmmmm really loud half stack.......I'll bet it ain't a slant cab, right?

Cuz if it is, he's already deaf.
  14. Kurisu

Nov 19, 2003
    Saskatoon SK
    Maybe they've gone deaf and their amps aren't actually on.

I mean, ****, you may as well stick the Neutrik plug in your mouth for all the good it'll do you. And apparently that won't change your band's sound.
  15. Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA

I think you should really listen to what everyone is saying. Everyone getting louder just makes things worse. Listen to everyone and turn it down. I learned this the hard way when I was younger and I went deaf in one ear for about 4 days. Luckily my hearing has returned, but not to 100% of what it was. I used to be in a Hard Rock Band playing stuff like Rage Against the Machine, Deftones, Tool, etc... but I eventually got into Jazz, funk, blues and fusion rock. So I learned that although the type of music your play dictates your volume to an extent, it never hurts to have a person level you out. I think it is a huge ego thing. Everyone wants to be heard. I use to be told to turn it down all the time because I could honestly never hear one day I did and the guitarist and drummer played softer from that point. If you guys have a PA, you might consider setting up monitors for you guys or at least plugging everyone in so you can have an independent person adjust your mix.

Also, Try wearing earplugs. Earplugs help actually take out the high end sound of the guitarist and the sharp abrasive sounds of the drummer's cymbols and the snare and it helps you hear your bass frequencies better. Well it helped me. I don't know if there is any scientific support for that.
  16. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    Drummers are expendable.
  17. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Both of the Poon's agree :) : First, ask everyone to turn down, ask your drummer to use lighter sticks for practices, etc.

I'm a big believer in hearing protection. I have mild tinnitus,(ringing in the ears) so I always carry foam earplugs to concerts and clubs. I also use foam plugs when I'm playing in bands that have hard-hitting drummers.

Like Cousin Poon said, they cut out a lot of the distortion, noise, etc. I prefer to use my custom molded ear protectors from Westone Labs for gigs- they're like a volume control; I use filters that bring the sound pressure level down by 20 db.

I can actually hear my bass better when I have earplugs in, or it may be that I've used earplugs for so long, I've adapted to them. It was'nt easy at first.

Not to sound like your parents, but once you lose your hearing, nothing will bring it back.

I'll get down from the soapbox now! :D
  18. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Sounds like we'll have to change his moniker to deafgod502 in a few years. :rolleyes:
  19. Mattski

Jan 6, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    I agree with all the advice that you may be playing too loud, but with the wattage you are describing, should be able to bury the drummer. Maybe the room your playing in has some funky acoustics. If it's only in one room, you might want to experiment with cabinet placement. With what your saying, it sounds like what I have experienced in smallish practice rooms. Try somewhere bigger if possible, or outside. If your aleardy in a big room, look at the frequency your guitarist is playing as others have suggested. If you ARE in a small room, for god's sake, wear some ear protection. The sound pressures will deafen all of you.

Good Luck,

20. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    You know how microphones distort when you push them too hard (like if you put a sensitive condenser in the kick drum, or a loud vocalist in front of a ribbon mic)? Well so do ear drums. At the volumes your implying I'm pretty sure that you're driving your ears into distortion which makes everything sound muddy and horrible and will make you deaf. If you can't get the drummer to play more quietly, get some musicians earplugs - it's the best $200 upgrade you'll ever make to your rig and your monitoring - you will not believe the extra clarity you'll get from your ears running in their comfort zone. You'll also still be able to hear (and not have tinnitus) in 10 years.