Acquired Precision. Should I refinish or leave it?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassliner50, Mar 23, 2018.

1. Hi everyone, I would like to get some opinions on whether to leave this bass as is or do some kind of simple (if any exist) refinish stain such as Tru Oil. The subject is a Squier Vintage Modified Precision, I assembled from parts sold to me from an inexperienced person from Craigslist for $60. The body and neck alone and stripped of any hardware were handed to me apart and in a box. The body was perfectly ugly as it was spray painted red with a rattle can. I added all the hardware and electronics from spares I had lying around, including a Seymour Duncan SPB-1 pickup. I stripped the body with chemicals and sandpaper, (I think the body is maple). I set it up to perfection, restrung it and it plays and sounds beautiful. (I have 6 other P-basses by the way).
    It really does not look bad as raw wood, but gets grimy and dirty quickly, now matter what I do to prevent it from getting dirty.
    1. Should I just leave it?
    2. If I were to stain or seal it, what process would you recommend?

I am hoping to learn about a simple and sure way to implement staining or sealing. I don't mind spending up to 10 hours to accomplish this. I would like to learn from the experiences of those that have been through a similar process. Thanks to all! headstock.JPG body.JPG headstock rear.JPG IMG_0420.JPG

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
  2. Axstar

Axstar Inactive

Jul 8, 2016
    Scotland.
    That looks more like an Ash body, thought it might be a slightly more exciting piece of Alder? If it was Maple then it would weigh a ton.

Make sure it is stripped right down to the raw wood. There might be a sealer coat on there? The back of it looks chipped and dented, but a lot of this could be steamed back out.

I have none of the skills, patience, equipment or space to spray good quality finishes. I have, however, had good results from tru oil! It is relatively foolproof.

3. Pug the Pig

Pug the Pig Inactive

Mar 21, 2018
    London
    I'd just leave it and let it acquire its own patina!

4. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    I'd leave it. Tort looks good on that body.

Aqualung60 likes this.
  5. :cool: I think it looks cool as is. Maybe give it a clear coat to keep the dirt off and call it a day.

6. Something transparent because I am a sucker for unstained unpainted bodies and that one looks fantastic. Surf the TB forums on oil and other types of clear finishes. DON'T leave it raw wood. My $.02.

gebass6 and TN WOODMAN like this.
  7. 1bassplayinfool

1bassplayinfool -Nowhere Man- Gold Supporting Member

Hit it with bees wax...

229080825.png

8. soitainly

soitainly

Aug 21, 2012
    Tung oil is a good sealer. It's easy to use, and hard to mess up, and it looks good.

gebass6, deathness, Engle and 3 others like this.
  9. Low8

Low8 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    What he said on tung oil... for all the same reasons. It's an easy process and the more coats you apply, the more shiny it gets.

And yeah, +1 on ash. I don't think it's maple either.

10. danesdad

danesdad

Feb 24, 2018
    Western PA
    Yeah, I wouldn't leave it bare.

gebass6 likes this.
  11. I think it looks great as it is.

Suggestion, since you seem to be new to staining/sealing... maybe find a nice piece of wood to practice on first before doing the bass. Find some similar wood at the hardware store, or scrounge up an old piece of furniture and practice on that.

I'm no wood finisher by any stretch of the imagination, but when you said you were willing to put in up to 10 hours on this, I kind of giggled a bit. Not at you, but at thinking that a strip and full refin is a 10 hour job for someone without much experience. Been there, done that, and don't care much for it. My problem is that I don't have the patience for refinishing wood. You may on the other hand, really like doing it and find it to be cool new thing in your life. Either way, good luck. You have a real nice Lookin bass there. :thumbsup:

12. Stain it

13. Bees wax? Would never think of that. Would it rub off on my fingers and make my strings etc. sticky? Is it a liquid or waxy solid? thanks for the suggestion.

14. Thank you. It plays and sounds so good too.

15. minwax wipe on poly is super easy to work with. i've used the oil based with good results but the water based also seems to get good reviews. 1. clean the body 2. wipe on poly 3. wait a few hours 4. lightly sand with 220 grit 5. wipe on more poly 6. wait a few more hours 7. lightly sand again 8. wipe on more poly - i've done as few as three coats on the back of a guitar neck and as many as 7 on cabinets.

16. Ash body? It was my guess that the body is maple. It is a pleasure to play and now I look for excuses to play it. Needs a sealer. A stain to darken it is optional in my mind.

17. Is Tung oil similar to Tru oil? Tru oil is sold to apply to rifle stocks.

18. Deft-thane satin finish clear coat. Doesn't require any finishing and will prevent any moisture damage and dirtying of the wood.

19. brianmharrison

brianmharrison

Oct 11, 2007
    Atlanta
    I did one coat of ting oil then 20 coats of oil based polyurethane on the bass in my avatar

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 24, 2022