Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Acquisition Affliction Addiction

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gapupten, Feb 4, 2005.

1. gapupten

gapupten

Dec 29, 2004
    Does anyone buy basses just because you can?
    I have too many basses and yet I can't stop looking at new ones. After a while, I just have to sell some.
    My playing is mostly limited to home practice after work, I just enjoy it. I just keep wondering what would that new one sound like.. feel like. Or I see one on Ebay that is a tremendous bargin..
    I have noticed that others have multiple basses and it can't be all for any rational reason.
    Has someone named this disease? :help:

2. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    It sounds like you have the precursor to what is commonly referred to as G.A.S. (gear acquisition syndrome). ;)

3. Ahhh!

So it's not only me!

I have the same affliction :D

I have four basses, and I have no good reason at all to want more (or even that many for that matter) but I have to constantly fight the urge to buy a new bass, just because I like the shape or the sound.

A terrible curse!

:p

4. gapupten

gapupten

Dec 29, 2004
    Never knew what that meant. Starting to make me feel better already.

5. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    ...yes, you would know all about G.A.S., as you are a primary source of it!!!

:p

(Yes, I know I know, me too...but I'm still mad at you about the pink ivorywood Roscoe, so I'm blaming YOU for everything!!! :spit: )

6. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    GAS can be cured, just get broke.

7. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    HA! :D You're never going to let me live that one down, are you? :smug: Looks like I'm going to have to go back to ordering all black basses just to keep from making enemies!!! :bag:

:D

8. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Being broke doesn't stop a junkie from being a junkie. :ninja:

9. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Hi, everyone. I'm Larry and I'm a GASaholic.

10. HamOnTheCob

HamOnTheCob Jacob Moore Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Endorsing Artist for Warwick Basses, Mesa Engineering, Joyo Technology, Dr. J Pedals, and Levy's Leathers
    I've got GAS to the point that my fiance has a specific look she gets on her face that's directly the result of my ailment. It's not the "You forgot to do dishes" look, or the "You forgot to put the seat down" look, or even the "You're cheating on me!" look... nope, it's worse than all the rest.

I'm sure a lot of us have significant others who have a GAS-inspired "look"...

11. Hi, Larry.

How many days has it been since your last GAS attack?

12. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
  13. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    Suffering from severe GAS I just forced myself to buy 2 basses because I couldn't make up my mine. I am now the proud owner of a 77 and 78 Jazz basses... Couldn't decide between maple or rosewood fingerboards. These 2 will go well with the other 3 jazz basses or variations I have.

Since most of the time I play a 6 anyway... Maybe I should get a 5 string. Oh yeah... that's what I was looking for when I bought the two basses...

14. shirojiro

shirojiro

Jan 24, 2001
    San Francisco
    I have terrible G.A.S.

I can't stop thinking about all the different basses that I would like to own. Thankfully, I have cheap tastes so far. It may be in large part due to the fact that I don't often try out more expensive instruments.

But I would like have a Fender Aerodyne, some kind of P-J bass like the Ibanez RKB900, a SCPB, a G&L L-2500...

The list goes on and on.

Then, there are the nostalgia basses. I sold off many basses, and I miss some of them. I would likely never play them though!

I'm trying to keep the herd down to 4 right now, and I'm stuggling...

15. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    I have the apparently unique ability to act on G.A.S. pains only when absolutely necessary. The last bass I owned was a Fender MIA Precision that had very little finish left, a twisted neck, cracked headstock and one missing strap button. It lasted for ten years in my possession and begged for me to replace it on a daily basis. Remember, G.A.S. can only be as bad as you want it to.

16. I thought getting a mortgage would solve my G.A.S. problem, but it didn't. I find the best cure for G.A.S. is the constant threat of flaming death at the hands of "she who must be obeyed." :bag:

17. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    Works for me!!!!

:hyper:

;)

(Man, you keep some bee-you-tee-full stuff 'round, my friend! :) )

18. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    (Looks at posting time: 4:58 am)

...man, things ARE tough at Casa de Siff!!! You're sneakin' onto TB at 5 in the morning!!!!!

:ninja:

;)

(Tell the Mrs. I said hey! :) )

19. matrok

matrok

Jan 10, 2005
    Ferndale, Michigan
    I have bad G.A.S. right now for a Rumblefish 4, preferably 69 orange. Desperately searching the house for things to sell. Does anyone know if they still pay you for blood donations? :confused:

20. Whoa.. flashback to college. :D
    Good luck finding a Reverend, they are great basses. I haven't seen one on the 'bay in several weeks now. Hope they haven't dried up.. I'd like to add to my collection down the line.