Acrylic Bass guitar

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by papasmurfstyle, Apr 13, 2005.

1. papasmurfstyle

Apr 13, 2005
    I was wondering if there were any pros and cons about Acrylic Bass guitars. I was looking to buy one because it looks really cool because it is totaly clear, but wasnt sure about how they sounded. I usually play punk and hardcore music, sometimes metal. Would this be an ok bass to play, or am i gonna waste my money.
  2. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    They're HEAVY, man (and I don't mean in a '60s far-out kinda way).
  3. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Most of them are by low-budget companies and don't have very high quality parts (the ones on ebay...). From waht I have heard they have a rather un-natural and trebly sound, so they probably would work ok for heavy rock.
  4. Musicfreak1988

Feb 2, 2005
    Sandberg makes one : the Plasma bass. It's a clear bass with built-in LEDs. Think they come with white, blue and green LEDs. Can be only green too, though, don't know exactly. Don't know if it's in your budget but rrp is around 1900 euro.
    If you play punk, hardcore and metal, I think this might be a good choice. The bass was built for Olivier of Rammstein...
  5. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
    If you play punk I would recommend the Ampeg Dan Armstrong reissue from the 90's. Heavy in both weight and sound. Greg Ginn played the guitar version in Black Flag.
  6. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

Crytal guitars makes some and they do not appear to be budget oriented. Cool site with pretty ladies.

Wesley R.
  7. A guy from one of the other forums I go to had one for sale for a LOOOONG time...
    Lots of people interested to try it out, but noone bought it... the sound must have been THAT good.

I think no matter what style you play, you wanna have a good quality instrument, and going ONLY on looks isnt really the best approach...
    WOOD is the key man... and they dont make see-through wood...
  8. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    You can get budget ones for really cheap. They look cool as hell, and if you're playing punk and hardcore the "subtleties" of the tone are going to be lost anyways. I say look for a cheap one on Ebay with a P pickup and go for it.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Wood is the foundation of an instrument, i just dont think you should change that.The Dan Armstrong Ampegs were very heavy, if you want something cheap just check around for Univox Lucite bass.I think they were made in the late 60's or early 70's.
  10. PlayRecord.Net

Apr 14, 2005