Acrylic Sheets Cut to Fit over 6 String Fretboard

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by racecaryaya, Dec 2, 2021.

1. racecaryaya

racecaryaya

Dec 2, 2021
    I want to add LEDs (thin strips, no thicker than how far the frets stick out from the surface of the neck) to the fretboard of a six string electric. I want to put acrylic sheets over the top of the frets but under the strings (for example here: Cut-to-Size Clear Acrylic Sheet - Extruded) and play the bass as if it were fretless. That is, the acrylic would become the fretless fingerboard. The point is to see the lights through the neck.

A few questions:
    -What would be the best way to mount the acrylic sheets to the fretboard? It is okay if they aren't easily removable.
    -The action should be quite high to accommodate the raised fingerboard. However, there is a limit to how high the action can go. How thick should the acrylic be to form a playable fingerboard but to not "crowd the strings"?
    -All 6 string basses I can find seem to have necks which are wider at the bridge than at the nut. Using such a bass for this project would be more difficult than using one for which this isn't true (fretboard width at nut should be the same as fretboard width at highest fret) because precut acrylic seems to come in squares. Are there any 6 string basses with such rectangular necks? Perhaps with string spacing which is slightly larger than normal at the nut and slightly smaller than normal at the highest fret?

2. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    You're certainly not afraid to think outside the box!
    I don't think acrylic will hold up under the constant rubbing of the strings, even if you use flats. I think it will soon become scuffed and marked. This will be further highlighted by any lights underneath.

Almost all basses and guitars have some taper to the neck.

Geri O likes this.
  3. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 18, 2022