1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Action adjustments on Thunderbird's?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by nhaight, Mar 24, 2013.

1. Ive owned a few basses over the years and Ive never had as many problems with the action on a bass as I have with my Thunderbird. I dont know if its something to do with the nightmare known as the three point bridge or what... The main issues being a slight buzz on the 12th-14th frets on the A String (2nd) with the action a little higher than I like. And buzzing on 7th fret -14th with the action being right where I want it. :scowl:

So if any one has any insight on how to go about adjusting it for a low action in drop tunings like BF#BE and CGCF with Medium gauge strings: 45-65-85-105. Please drop a comment!

2. VeganThump

VeganThump

Jun 29, 2012
    South Jersey
    have you checked the neck relief?

3. Yep theres just enough... Although if I dont figure this out soon I might go back to playing around with that again.

4. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings

Dec 12, 2006
    NY & MA
    Do a proper setup. Check and measure and adjust neck relief to where you want it to be. Reading your post, sounds like the buzzing happens on frets up to the 14th. Without being able to look at the instrument sounds like fret 15 might be the fret buzz location? Is this a new problem on a new bass -or- a new problem on a new bass?

5. New problem on a bass Ive had for a while but It started when I added the larger gauge strings and drop tuned it from standard toDrop C#G#C#F# and after that worked out w/o fret buzz etc a few weeks later... I dropped it to BF#BE and thats where im having problems...

6. temmrich

temmrich

Jan 29, 2012
    Dayton, Ohio
    Did you do another trussrod adjustment when you changed the tuning?

7. Yep Ive played with that a good amount... I just raised the bridge height a smidge and the buzz got a lot better but there's still a slight buzz on the 12th thru 14th frets on the 3rd and 4th strings...

8. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings

Dec 12, 2006
    NY & MA
    Well, larger gauge strings can tend to move a bit more than smaller gauge strings... coupled with drop down (lower tension)... and you've got a recipe for finding the location of the least perfectly level frets. This might be frets needing to be re-dressed or tapped down. Might be a fretboard that's got a wee bit of a bump in it... not quite ski jump but similar. If the absolute lowest action with this string combination is a requirement, I'd say the frets/fretboard is where the problem is... not with the bridge.

9. JLS

JLS

Sep 12, 2008
    Emeryville, Ca
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    On Thunderbird's what?