Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Action and Imortant info on the vanishing...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by wadmutter, Jan 27, 2001.

1. wadmutter

wadmutter

Jan 27, 2001
    Alaskan Whit Tiger.

I have A Warwick Fortress 5 string. I like it. I wish I knew the secret to making the action as "loose" as possible. By Loose I mean; Not as much tension on the strings when tuned properly, A light, kinder responce to the suttle moods I try to protray when scating and such. If any has some tips, I like to hear them. It just seems that other basses feel like, so much less "tension"

Ho HUM.

thanks.

2. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000

What kinda' strings do you have on that Warwick?
    Here are some suggestions for "low tension" strings.
    They all have round (vs hex cores) and are available in 5-string sets.

Herm (the moderator) may still have some available for sale.
    Also, try here ~ http://www.juststrings.com

DR Hi-Beams (stainless, roundwound)
    DR Long Necks (stainless, taper-core, roundwound)
    DR Sunbeams (nickel, roundwound)

Thomastik-Infeld Jazz series roundwounds
    Thomastik-Infeld Jazz series flatwounds

3. Wadmutter, the only way to decrease string tension on your bass is to look at other strings like notduane has suggested. The bass, it's scale, the headstock angle and bridge pretty much dictate the tension.

4. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    My apologies Hambone. For a minute there, I thought I was in the Strings forum :).

5. wadmutter

wadmutter

Jan 27, 2001
    Thanks For the suggestions herm an notduane... I Guess I'm looking for a light guage, roundwound, Round Core, Tapered-End?(I say tapered-end because most 130's barley fit in the bridge!) IF any one knows exactly what sting fits the bill, let me know, I also like Stainless instead of Nickel. I cant stand how "Sticky" Nickel feels...

6. Hey Wadmutter, as I read your post, you play the bass while skating, right? Hmmm, novel idea, I'll give it a go, trouble is, it's summer where I live! LOL.

7. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Wadmutter check here => http://www.drstrings.com/longneck.htm

DR "Long Necks". Stainless, roundwound, round core, tapered end.

The have two sets for fivers...

Lite 5's TLR5-40 40 60 80 100 120

Medium 5 TMR5-45 45 65 85 105 125

8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

But what about ... "The Vanishing" - this would worry me more than the string tension! How can you play gigs if the bass keeps vanishing - maybe it's phasing in and out of Universes and should be investigated by Quantum Physicists?

Schrodinger's Bass! ;)

9. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    "How can you play gigs if the bass keeps vanishing?"

LMAO. :)

Pkr2

10. It only vanishes when skating! Hmmm, visions of Dr. Who.