Action and Intonation on a Spector

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by GraffixNyc, Jul 24, 2004.

1. GraffixNyc

May 3, 2004
    New York City
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    I just got a NS5CRFM and I talked to PJ at spector and he said that the stock strings are light gauge. Well I changed the strings to a medium gauge. (DR Low Riders)
    I noticed that when tuning the 12th fret was sharper then the open so I went off to set the intonation. I think I did a pretty good job at this as now the 12th fret registers the same as the open string(or pretty damn close) but now my problem comes with the action. I was getting a buzz I think it's because there were light gauge strings on and I replaced them with meduim gauge. So I raised the action. but now It seems uncomfortable to play. I have a cheaper korean spector(neck thru) and the action is perfect so I'm comparing it to the action on that bass and I'm not pleased. Before I changed the strings I took it to guitar center to see if it did need a set up he said the neck looked really good. Now that I changed the strings I really want the action low again but without the fret buzz on the lower registers. What should I do? Should I just bring it to a shop and let them set it up anyway? I just don't want to screw up the neck by messing with the intonation and action too much if that's possible. I'd really like the action to be the same as on my cheaper korean spector.
  2. jazzbass70

Sep 8, 2003
    A Frind of mine had the same Problem with his Europe Spector 5 string. He went to those guys
    The Result was a 100% better Playability.
    I have heard that a few Euro Spectors have (had?) Fret-Problems.
    Sorry for my lausy English
    Greeting from the wild West in Germany
  3. Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    I have a Euro five that has never really played to suit me. I had it set up locally and it was "ok". My Cirrus 5 plays SOOOO much better that even though I love the Spector sound, I didn't play it nearly as much as the Cirrus. I finally contacted Spector and they gave me the name of a Spector dealer in Richmond. I took it there and they did a nice setup with D'addario medium guage (They didn't have DR Lowriders) and it plays much nicer, but it still doesn't play as good as the Cirrus, and I honestly don't believe it ever will.
  4. Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    By the way the Spector dealer was Richmond Music. Great store and great guys. Mike Hobbs is their bass guy and he was super to deal with. Treated me like an old friend. :)
  5. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Did you do any adjustment on the truss rod? That'd be something I'd definately tweak if going to a very different string gauge.