1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Action and Intonation question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by davidjbass, Sep 11, 2008.

1. I need some advice. I want to lower my action on my Lakland 55 94 but I don't want it to effect my intonation. Right now the bass is intonated perfect but the action is just a little to high for my tastes. If I lower the action will it screw up the basses intonation? Thanks in advance for your replies.

2. Yes, you'll need to check your intonation again once you lower the action as it most likely will be off. You should check your intonation anytime you put new strings on. Intonation is a pretty quick issue to deal with 10-15 minute fix generally.

3. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    The intonation doesn't get too off IME, if you're not making a drastic change, but you should check it anyway.

4. willsellout

willsellout Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2002
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Sweetwater Sales Engineer
    If you can't intonate your bass you need to learn how. It shouldn't take more than a couple minutes, in all seriousness. But with just lowering your action it should probably be pretty close to what it was before anyway.

5. LP75

LP75

Aug 29, 2006
    Seattle
    I have found that once I have the intonation set right, small changes in action height don't throw it off in a noticable way. Set the action, then do a quick check by ear for intonation.

LP

6. Intonation is the last step when setting up a bass. It is likely that you may have to set the intonation but possible that you won't. If it did need adjustment, it likely wouldn't be much.

7. kraigo

kraigo

Jun 21, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    The intonation will probably get thrown off but to such a small degree that you won't really hear it.

Greetings to Lonote from a Minneapolis boy.

KO

8. I only want to lower it a little bit. So it hopefully won't effect it. Thanks so far for all the help.

9. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Endorsing artist GENZ BENZ/HERCULES STANDS/XSonics
    it shouldn't throw it off much if at all. Uf it does, it is a quick fix

10. uptowndirt

uptowndirt Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2008
    Canada
    You should learn how to set up your bass anyway saves down the road when you need work done and there is no tech or music shop. not hard to do all adjustments yourself.

11. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    It will effect it. Even a small change will throw it off some. It may not throw it off enough to bother you, but make no mistake, it will not be exactly the same after you lower the saddles.

Once you've got it all dialed in, keep using the same brand and guage of strings, and you shouldn't need to adjust it again for a while.