1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

action and radius

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by ga_edwards, Feb 17, 2008.

1. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    I'm having a spot of trouble getting my Yamaha RBX4-A2 setup how I want it. I like action kind of low, but the higher frets are choking out when I bend notes. As I understand it this is a result of the radius being smaller than I'm used to. It has a 10 5/ 8" radius compared to the much flatter 25" of my Thumb BO 5. I'd ideally like to get the action as close as possible, but I don't think I'm going to be able to.

My Thumb is setup: holding down 1st fret measuring 17th fret 3/32" on the G string and 5/64" on the B string.

I used the fender guide to set the Yammy and it's not really working. I've got it to about a little bit higher than the Warwick, and it's still choking, and there still more buzzing on the higher notes than I care for without any string bending.

When I was adjusting the truss rod to go flatter I felt resistance, so decided to stop before breaking anything (done that before). It's still not as flat as the Fender specs so I'm wondering if that has anything to do with it?

The only thing I can think of now it to get a proper fret-dress/levelling job done. It's not exactly a high end instrument so this may help. I've done this before myself on cheaper basses, but I'm thinking this one may require more attention. I've heard that I could get the frets ground to a flatter radius which may help.

I'm pretty sure there must be a way to get the action lower than it currently is, I mean the Billy Sheehan Attitude has a 10" radius and he's always bending strings!

Any advice would be gratefully received before I start spending money on a set-up.