Action and strings?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Sub5ound, Feb 15, 2009.

1. Sub5ound

Sub5ound Inactive

Sep 6, 2008
    Catskills, New York
    I recently removed the stock Fender nps 45-65-80-100
    strings from my 50's RI P-bass. I replaced them with Fender flats (40-60-80-?), I think one of their lightest gauge flats.
    I did this to retain my neck relief. I like it where it is. I did not intonate, I only lowered the saddles. They have been on for approx. two weeks now. As per my usual custom, I think I want to switch back to rounds, but this time with 45-65-80-100 nickel Lo-Riders.

Does anyone know if this will screw with my action too much?
    I would like to not have to adjust the neck (in which case, it's going in for a set-up) After slapping the rounds back on,
    I will intonate and adjust the saddles as needed. Thoughts?

2. Thoughts?

A change in string tension wants a change in neck relief.

Sorry.

3. Aurel

Aurel

Dec 11, 2008
    Paris, France
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Basses & Framus guitars, Pigtronix, Aguilar Amps, Orange Amps,
    Exactly. Though, the neck adjustment could be minimal since the gauge of your new strings don't match the old ones but is not too different.

4. Sub5ound

Sub5ound Inactive

Sep 6, 2008
    Catskills, New York
    They do match the gauge I origionaly had on the bass. I was just wondering if this change(the light gauge flats) was so drastic that putting the origional gauge strings on would require neck adjustment.

5. Gauge isn't tension.

Easiest way is to check relief before & after the change.

6. So the truss rod was last set with the strings you are going to put back on? Should be the same relief then.

Are you asking if changing the string tension for awhile & then changing back will distort the neck? Minutely, perhaps. I wouldn't worry.

7. Sub5ound

Sub5ound Inactive

Sep 6, 2008
    Catskills, New York
    That's pretty much what I'm asking. I guess I'm gonna throw the old strings back on and see what happens after intonation is adjusted. I will only have these on until my shop get's the nickel Lo-Riders (same gauge) in. Do the DR's have less tension than the Fenders or vice versa? I'm thinking the DR's have less.

8. Oh man, I JUST turned rant mode off!!

I'm not sure what the relative tensions for DR & Fender are. Sorry. My string experimentations went way downhill after TI Jazz Flats ;)

Times like this string tension info is really handy. Sub, I invite you (heck, I urge you) (heck, I urge EVERYONE) to write their string maker inquiring the tension data for their product.

9. Sub5ound

Sub5ound Inactive

Sep 6, 2008
    Catskills, New York
    I threw the old strigs back on last night, no problems. I didn't even have to intonate! Thanks for the replies. I'll report back when the DR's go on.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021