1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Action height? 4-string versus 5-string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by StuartV, Apr 21, 2010.

1. StuartV

StuartV Finally figuring out what I really like Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    I was just reading an article on bassplayer.com about the Carvin SB4000 and SB5000. In the article, the reviewer said this: "Both instruments came to me set up with ... appropriate action (higher for the 4 and a little lower for the 5)."

I'm a totally ignorant noob, but that sounds backwards to me. Wouldn't you want higher action on the 5, to give the B string more room to vibrate without hitting the frets?

2. They're just saying that's how the basses came to them, not that that is the correct setup for the particular basses.

3. StuartV

StuartV Finally figuring out what I really like Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    No, that's my point, the reviewer was actually saying that the appropriate action was higher on the 4 than the 5. He talked about how they were both setup with perfect intonation and action and he didn't need to tweak anything.

Or maybe you (and the reviewer) are just trying to say that the action was good on both and it just so happened that the action on the 5 was a little lower than on the 4? That still wouldn't make sense to me - unless your standards for action are pretty lax. I mean, it seems like to me (again, I'm a NOOB), that however you like your action, you would either prefer a 4 and 5 to be the same, or, if not the same, the 4 would be lower. I.e. some people want it as low as possible without fret buzz, right? Wouldn't you be able to go lower on a 4 than the same guitar as a 5?

4. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Payson Fanned Bass Strings Owner Commercial User

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    Payson Fanned Bass Strings Owner
    They're just saying that's how the basses came to them, not that that is the correct setup for the particular basses.

Nothing to make sense about since the act of receiving the bass and reviewing it has already happened.

6. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    I dont understand why someone would want higher action on one or the other. If I cant get very nice very low action on the instrument I'm not buying it.

7. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Payson Fanned Bass Strings Owner Commercial User

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    Payson Fanned Bass Strings Owner
    I think you're missing the point, they just happen to come that way. 2 different guys could have set them up, one neck might have slightly bowed forward during shipping.

8. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks I build Grosbeak Guitars and Basses Commercial User

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Grosbeak Guitars
    I think when they say "appropriate action" they mean that they were set up, well appropriately, Not too high and not too low.

Within the parameters of a setup, you can still have higher or lower action as it varies from instrument to instrument.

I hope that makes as much sense to you as it does in my head.