1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Action Height - What gauge strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by danaban, Aug 8, 2012.

1. danaban

danaban

Aug 8, 2012
    My bass guitar has very low action, even when I raise it the action still feels pretty low.

I can't help but feel this is a reason for it's almost dead sound that it's recently developed, also always has a nasty buzzing sound when i play a note.

My strings are pretty knackered though, and i was wondering what gauge to buy to limit the buzzing and make it feel like it has a higher action.

What gauge strings would you recommend for a bass with low action?

Cheers!

2. onda'bass

onda'bass Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2010
    Buffalo Ny
    first off get a setup, any strings will get you low action, your touch determines if it works for you. Heavier strings will allow you to go lower as they don't have a wide vibration like light ones, and can be set closer. hope this helps.

3. danaban

danaban

Aug 8, 2012
    Would that help me reduce buzzing?

4. onda'bass

onda'bass Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2010
    Buffalo Ny
    yes it should....

5. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Definitely get a setup.

Any strings will get you low action or action that is a mile off the fretboard. The setup determines it, not so much the strings.

6. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Low action doesnt cause give dead sound. It actually improves the sound to make it more lively to me with a little bit of musical clank and all. I like & use very low action and use std 45-105 gauge. Some like like lighter gauge with real low action. Is personal pref.

7. i think the most heavier the gauge is, more tension, less buzz. Buzz is more related to floppy strings imo

8. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast

It's also related to strings that are just set too low to the frets, buzzing against them. You could tune a .130 gauge up to E, and if the neck was setup right, it would buzz.

Seems like you need to have the bass setup. Heavier gauge strings would put more tension on the neck, possibly pulling it out of a back bow, thus giving you higher action, but you should really have it properly adjusted. Lots of threads in Hardware/Setup/Repairs, or check Youtube.