Action : High vs Low

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by FeedBack, Jun 3, 2004.

1. High

9 vote(s)
  2. Low

34 vote(s)
  1. FeedBack

May 12, 2004
    This must come up alot, but how do you like your action?

If you dont mind, please put some reasons why.

I like my action high, just because i hate fret buzz and its easier to play faster with the right hand... :D

2. Low, because I have a light, smooth, touch.

3. the action on my main bass is low at the moment, when i play it makes some fretbuzz but i like the sound, the note is still strong so its all good.
  4. Scottgun

Jan 24, 2004
    High. I'm playing real aggressive music with a pick that can make just about any action buzz if you hit it hard enough. :D

5. I have come to prefer low action and no (or very, very little) relief in the neck and high tension strings. I used to play with relatively high action and and a lot of relief but tendonitis dictated a change.
  6. Mongeaux

Apr 14, 2004

I had the same problem. Now days lighter tension strings *TI flats* and set the action really low.
  7. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I'd classify mine as medium. :cool:

Actually, I find that I like the lower strings to have relatively higher action (for digging in without buzz), and the higher strings to have relatively lower action (to coax a bit of buzz when digging in)... but neither end is especially high or low!
  8. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Mines pretty low. About 3/32's of an inch from the top of fret to bottom of string at 12th fret. I play with a pretty light touch near the end of the neck/neck pickups so i dont get fretbuzz unless i play hard.
  9. Frijoles Negros

Frijoles Negros

Mar 21, 2004
    Yea, what he said.
  10. Low as I can go. I'm at about an eighth of an inch off the fingerboard now, my saddles won't go any lower. I'm fretless, so buzz isn't an issue. I had a little trouble with the string clicking against the pole pieces (PUs as high as they go), but I padded them with some thin foam.