1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Action : High vs Low

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by FeedBack, Jun 3, 2004.

1. High

9 vote(s)
    20.9%
  2. Low

34 vote(s)
    79.1%
  1. FeedBack

FeedBack

May 12, 2004
    This must come up alot, but how do you like your action?

If you dont mind, please put some reasons why.

I like my action high, just because i hate fret buzz and its easier to play faster with the right hand... :D

2. Low, because I have a light, smooth, touch.

[​IMG]
    Treena

3. the action on my main bass is low at the moment, when i play it makes some fretbuzz but i like the sound, the note is still strong so its all good.

4. Scottgun

Scottgun

Jan 24, 2004
    Virginia
    High. I'm playing real aggressive music with a pick that can make just about any action buzz if you hit it hard enough. :D

Scott

5. I have come to prefer low action and no (or very, very little) relief in the neck and high tension strings. I used to play with relatively high action and and a lot of relief but tendonitis dictated a change.

6. Mongeaux

Mongeaux

Apr 14, 2004

I had the same problem. Now days lighter tension strings *TI flats* and set the action really low.

7. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I'd classify mine as medium. :cool:

Actually, I find that I like the lower strings to have relatively higher action (for digging in without buzz), and the higher strings to have relatively lower action (to coax a bit of buzz when digging in)... but neither end is especially high or low!

8. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Mines pretty low. About 3/32's of an inch from the top of fret to bottom of string at 12th fret. I play with a pretty light touch near the end of the neck/neck pickups so i dont get fretbuzz unless i play hard.

9. Frijoles Negros

Frijoles Negros

Mar 21, 2004
    Yea, what he said.

10. Low as I can go. I'm at about an eighth of an inch off the fingerboard now, my saddles won't go any lower. I'm fretless, so buzz isn't an issue. I had a little trouble with the string clicking against the pole pieces (PUs as high as they go), but I padded them with some thin foam.