Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Action on acoustic guitars?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Stanley Design, Mar 3, 2003.

1. I got an acoustic guitar i need the action raised on. it doesnt have anything to adjust it so im assuming i get a custom made bridge put on? help me out on what im suppost to do

2. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Are you sure there's no truss rod in it? In most acoustics they're on the neck block, inside, hidden behind some bracing. If it actually doesn't have a truss rod, you can try placing some shims under the saddle.

3. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    yeah, what SoCom advises--pull the saddle out and put something in there to raise it. I had to lower mine, same procedure, but i had to grind mine down till I got it right.

4. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    I would suggest you get a saddle blank (StewMac and others have them dirt cheap) and play with that one. New one would come in quite high, so just file it until you get the action right. If you shim the existing one, it may negatively impact the tone.

5. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Also check the head of the guitar right next to the nut. My Taylor has a little plate you have to unscrew and underneath that is the truss rod.

6. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    This would be one way to go about it, but you have to take into account the compensation for each string and the proper break angle of the strings for your desired action. Without being compensated correctly, the guitar will never intonate properly. If the break angle is too acute, you'll break more strings. If it's too obtuse, you'll lose tone.