Action on Corvette

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by i like tictacs, Jul 8, 2004.

1. This might belong in setup but it seemed more bass orientated,

how low can a Corvette's action get? Unless I'm doing something horribly wrong, my action isn't getting much lower then 9/64th of an inch at the 12th fret.
  2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Hows the relief? Is the neck bowing too much? Could be a number of things. They can be fixed by getting the bass professionally set up, but it is usualy not too diffucult to do yourself, but truss rod adjustments can be dangerous if you dont know what you are doing.
  3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Plus, there could be a fret or two that are slightly high, which is ruining your ability to get low action without problematic buzzing. Can also be the way the nut is cut, and a number of other things. If you can't tweak it yourself, take it to a RESPECTED tech.

ANY bass, even the cheapest pieces of garbage, can be set up to play with low action if a professional gets his hands on it and does what needs to be done.
  4. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU

Luckily the nut is adjustable - though now the entire nut, not for each string as it was with the brass J-A-N I...
    Also, strings play a role in action/height. Try higher-tension strings, if your strings are floppy and that causes the buzz. But still, the method that has the biggest effect is the truss-rod adjustment - but be very careful with that, you can ruin the neck of your bass with it if you are not cautious enough and overdo it!
  5. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España

what are the gauges of youre strings and the tunning?
  6. Standard tuning, EADG. They are DR Lo-Rider 45-105 meds.