Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Action on MIM Jazz Basses

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by The MOMET, Jun 25, 2004.

1. The MOMET

The MOMET Guest

May 20, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    If you own one of these, how low can you set your action? Can you get below 3/32" without buzzing out?

2. tkarter

tkarter

Jan 1, 2003
    kansas
    I own one and I don't typically go below 3/32 on any of my basses. I have been lower than that on my MIM Jazz and yes if you can get the proper relief it is as possible on a MIM Jazz as any other bass IMO.

tk

3. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Yes it can be done if all the frets are level.

4. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Actually, I have been able to get great, low action on ANY bass, even the cheapies (recently a $149 Brice Jazz), but it will almost always require a good fret levelling and recrowning, and sometimes shimming of the neck. The only real problems I have had are with neck-through instruments where shimming is impossible without major surgery.

You'd be surpised how many new, respected brands of basses benefit from a good fret levelling immediately after purchase.

5. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Moved to Setup...

6. Follow these instructions...........yes, some people are able to get below 3/32" but that also has to do with having a light touch when playing.

[​IMG]

http://www.mrgearhead.com/faq/basssetup.html

Remember not all basses will allow for low action, you have to deal with the wood your bass is made with.

[​IMG]
    Treena

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Just a question about shimming, when do you know a shim is needed?

Another question. Say you can get low action on about frets 1-12 with no problem, but then above the 12th fret, the notes begin to deaden due to thelack of fret clearage. They lose sustain and gain buzz. I know raising the saddles would avoid this, but is it necesary. Is there any other adjustment that can help this while keeping the low acton?

8. Shimming......The need to adjust the pitch (raising the butt-end of the neck in the pocket, thereby pitching the neck back) of the neck occurs in situations where the string height is high and the action adjustment is as low as the adjustment will allow.

If this occurs, then you need to shim the neck to change the angle back to normal.

Not that I know of. A great tech would know all the tricks though! (Where is Harrell S, these days, he knows the answer, to bad he isn't around. That man knows all about setup!)

1- If the string(s) buzz on the first 4 or 5 frets, a relief problem is indicated and a truss rod adjustment is in order.

2- If the strings buzz on the last few frets a bridge height adjustment is in order.

3- An open string buzz usually indicates a bad nut if the buzz clears up when you note the first fret.

[​IMG]
    Treena

9. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Thanks Treena thats basicaly what i thought. Im just going to leave it how it is because i rarely play up that high and it still sounds ok, it just gets more a funky feel to it because i play near the neck pickup/end of neck so the strings tend to get a snappy clanky sound.

10. tkarter

tkarter

Jan 1, 2003
    kansas
    I myself would put some more relief in the neck. I would also check to make sure the pickup hieght was not causing the dead sounds. It should play right up to the last fret and sound without a buzz.

tk

11. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Im not sure more relief would help. I already have a nicely arched neck with proper relief, and usualy relief is only associated with the frets near the nut.
    Also its mainly on the E and A strings.

12. notabob

notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    if i were you i would try tightening the truss rod just a tad. if the frets buzz above the 12th fret (13, 14, 15, etc) then you have too much relief. if they buzz on the first few frets then you dont have enough relief. if all of them buzz, adjust the string height at the saddles.