1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Action on the G string way too high

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by IvanBassist, Jan 11, 2017.

1. IvanBassist

IvanBassist Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Münster, Germany
    Endorsing Artist: Mesa Boogie, Tech 21, G&L
    I recently bought a Skyline 44-64 Custom and the bass sounds fantastic, however I’ve run into a problem while setting it up.

The G string feels way more stiff than all the other strings and I can’t get it low enough. I’ve tried lowering the saddle to the lowest setting, different kinds/brands of strings, but I can’t solve the problem. The only thing that made it a bit better was to use a .40 gauge string, but the bass sounds imbalanced with a thinner string compared to the rest.

It would be a pity having to return the bass, because its got a great sound.

I hope you can help me out.

Ivan

2. vin97

vin97

Mar 7, 2016
    Germany
    Can you post a picture of your bridge saddle bottomed out?
    Maybe there is some material that can be removed to get it lower.

3. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    Shim the neck. A bass as expensive as that one shouldn't have to have that, though. For that price, it should be taken care of at the factory.

4. Bodeanly

Bodeanly

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    Does the nut need to be filed at all?

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 11, 2021