1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Action Question

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Stampy, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Stampy

Stampy

Jun 30, 2008
    Connecticut
    I just adjusted the action on my Ibanez SRX500 for the second time. Originally there was a lot of fret buzz so I adjusted higher but after it was done I noticed it was to high for me. So I went and backed it off a little bit and I got it just right. My question is that I had to adjust the D string higher than all of the others to get it to match the height of the others. Could this mean a warped neck maybe?
    srxaction001.

2. With that much tilt on it, it is actually lower. Look where the string crosses the saddle.

3. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    I've always adjusted a saddle fairly evenly, nearly the same height on either side of the string. But after seeing Stampy's pic showing almost the opposite approach, I'm wondering what, if any, difference there would be between the even raising of the saddle and raising it at an angle like Stampy? Whadda ya think? :cool:

4. I try to get them as even as possible. The only reason I can think of to slant them is change the alignment over the pickups. Slant them will move the string left to right very slightly.

5. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    It looks to me like that particular bridge only adjusts on one side? Is this correct? It doesnt seem like a wise choice to me, I wouldnt want me saddles being so slanted. It also doesnt seeem like raising the saddle would actually raise the action...

6. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    Measure the distance between the bottom of the strings and the top of the last fret (I'd do it with the strings caoped or fretted at the first fret to remove the nut from the measurement). They should be pretty close to each other there.

But, that bridge looks whacked to me. The tilting seems like it would difficult to smoothly get the strings where youi want them, and those severe tilts would be uncomfortable for palm muting.

jte

7. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    Wow, looks like your saddles are each missing a screw? Don't know what to tell you. :(

8. hockey_head

hockey_head

Feb 25, 2008
    try to even the saddles out again and atart ove r after checking the neck relief. ther should be a slight bit of bow in a properly adjusted neck.
    did you change string gages lately? changing to lighter strings will osten take the relief
    out of a neck due to the lower tension.
    push comes to shove, let a tech see it or turn your amp way up and play softer.

9. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    I've always slanted my saddles just barely to match the fingerboard radius, but that is crazy slanted!

10. Stampy

Stampy

Jun 30, 2008
    Connecticut
    Idk what to do. I was getting crazy fret buzz and the way that is set currently is the closest without more buzzing. Maybe I'll find a pro to look at it.