Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Action vs Slappin'

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by pc, Mar 17, 2002.

1. pc

pc

Apr 4, 2000
    Montreal QC
    I think this should be posted here, but I'm not shure. So, Hambone/Merlin, be welcome to move it around :)

I play bass for almost 20 years but never took slap too serious. Right now, I'm taking some slap lessons and begining to feel more comfortable with the technique.

My question is: Which is the best action to get a decent slapping/popping sound? High? Low? Medium?

My action is extremely low, because my fingerstyle is very soft, barely touching the strings. My slapping is going the same way... and I will try to keep things this way...

What's your opinions, slap guys?

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Low is where the action is...

3. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    high is too far to reach...

4. pc

pc

Apr 4, 2000
    Montreal QC
    roses are red, violets are blue
    low strings for slap:
    that's what I'll do...
    :D

I asked that because I was having some trouble thumbing the A and D strings, but I realized that my fingerboard was WAY flat... After loose 1/4 my truss rod, my thumbing got much better!

5. I am the moderator of this forum,
    It is my goal to keep the decorum.
    So stop with these poems yall making up
    And stick to the topic of Setup

boom boom NUFF SAID!

:D:D

Merls

6. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I think low action is best. But I do know a guy who can slap insanely fast (and he is also very funky) and his action is VERY high.