Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Action

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by 20one, Jan 11, 2003.

1. 20one

20one

Jan 10, 2003
    Abilene, TX
    I'm slightly a newb when it comes to fine adjustments etc etc... so please forgive me if this is a stupid question...

I've recently decided to start playin my 4 string after about a year of it sitting dormant in it's case. I've been playing a Peavey Cirrus 6 string and I have the action set at 1/8th of an inch above the 12th fret. When I restrung my 4 string it felt awefully hard to play and I noticed that the action was WAY high... so I adjusted the bridge as far down as it could possibly go and it's still at 1/4th of an inch above the fingerboard at the 12th fret, which is too high for me... anything I can do to get it lower?

2. SCH

SCH

May 3, 2002
    San Antonio, Texas
    Sounds like you have too much relief (curveture) in the neck. You need to adjust the truss rod and straighten the neck out some. If you've never done this before you might want to take it to a pro and watch how they do it. If you decide to do it yourself, make small adjustments only (1/4 turn) and recheck the bass the next day.

3. gruuv247

gruuv247 Guest

Sep 18, 2002
    Burlington, NC
    Tighten your truss rod 1/4 turn and let it sit for a couple of hours (don't be afraid)(make sure bass is in tune) play the bass in the first position and if there is no buzz tighten it 1/4 again and let it sit (tune again). keep doing this until you start getting a buzz in the first position. Once you get the buzz loosen the rod until you dont get the buzz (gotta find the medium). after this email me:: :cool:
    P.S. Bass should always be in tune :p

4. If after you make the trussrod adjustments the action is still too high, you can re-angle the neck (assuming it's a bolt-on neck).

Remove the neck and add a business card piece in the neck cavity, at the bridge end of the cavity. This will tilt the entire neck backwards. Re-attach the neck. Add another piece if you still can't get into adjustment range for your bridge.

I had to do this with one of my basses. I read about shimming the neck like that in a luthiers book.