1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Activators + ACG/John East preamp?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ArpeggiFish, Mar 8, 2008.

1. ArpeggiFish

ArpeggiFish

Feb 24, 2008
    Hi,

I was wondering this because the ACG is a low-pass filter preamp like the Alembic. The ACG also has a high-pass filter for the treble though. Would this be a good combo. I think it would be pretty hard to get some Activators though. I contacted Alembic to see how much it would be for a used pair though.

Thanks

-Arpeggi:bassist:

2. ArpeggiFish

ArpeggiFish

Feb 24, 2008
    bump

3. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    I think you're asking for a combination that hasn't been tried yet.

4. DavidRavenMoon

DavidRavenMoon Banned

Oct 20, 2004
    I had a customer I made some pickups for that asked me to make him a buffer for some Alembic pickups he got from them for a bass he was making.

He said they will sell scratched units, and it was for a good price too.

Depending on how much gain the East preamp has, it would work, but you might also need a buffer for each pickup to boost the level up a bit first.

5. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    I have the ACG preamp and it's fabulous. It's the first preamp that I've ever heard that can changed the general character of the pickup's sound. It's a very powerful preamp.

I don't know if you could go without a buffer with the pickups your talking about but I will say that there are two gain controls, one for each pickup, built into the preamp. I'm sure you could use that to boost the pickup volumes, I'm just not sure if it would be enough. I havn't had to toy with those controls myself.

6. Lowpro

Lowpro

Sep 25, 2006
    Birmingham, AL
    He doesn't sell the preamp individually anymore does he...

Damn, and Raven, I still want some Wal copy pickups >.< but the way it's looking I need to save up to get an ACG bass.

7. grace & groove

grace & groove

Nov 30, 2005
    philly
    Self-Appointed Ambassador to the Dragonfly
  8. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
  9. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    As for Wal copy pickups....just call Kent Armstrong and tell him what you're looking for. He'll make you whatever you want. He may not know what are in the Wal pickups but if you explain what kind of tone you want than he can make 'em.

10. If you want an as close to exact wal pre-amp copy you'd need the style of pre-amp (from ACG) that only comes in their basses, ie a low pass filter for each pickup control.

But I'm sure the preamp available separateley still does wonderfully, and I'm probably going to be getting one.

11. Lowpro

Lowpro

Sep 25, 2006
    Birmingham, AL
    Well that's what I meant. They don't offer their original preamp, and I don't really want the newer version.

As for the wal pickups, I haven't really got in contact with Kent yet, thing is, what I'd need to end up doing to get what I want is buy an ACG bass. Since im not gigging/recording I can't justify the expense.

12. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    The ACG preamp is available by itself, in case you missed the link halfway up.

13. John East

John East Commercial User

Jan 10, 2002
    Oxford UK
    Owner of E-Pro &amp; East UK
    To clarify the above:

* AGCs have an input buffer for each pickup.

* There is also individual preset gain adjustment for each pickup, set with a screwdriver, which can be set between 0 and up to 10dBs.

14. Lowpro

Lowpro

Sep 25, 2006
    Birmingham, AL
    Hmm, I was under the impression the one on the link is their newer preamp, not their original one.

15. synaesthesia

synaesthesia

Apr 13, 2004
    UK

It is possible. It is a myth that the Alembic activators MUST be used with Alembic electronics. I have built several preamps for several self made basses with Alembic P or J Activators, Fatboys, MXYs or AXYs.

Alembic will sell you a 'second' quality activator but chances are you will find them cheaper used when they turn up. They turn up on EBAY or the Alembic club from time to time. The AGC with the filter is priced not far off from Alembic electronics (Bass + treble or filter with Q switch) so if you are hoping to buy and retrofit quickly you might
    as well buy Alembic. Personally at the present price point I don't really see the advantage of the AGC preamp with the filter.

16. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    From my little experience with Alembics, the ACG seems to have a much broader frequency span available. Also, the Alembic doesn't have a treble frequency sweep does it...along with the high pass filter?

17. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    It is the newer one on the bestbassgear site. Dont' hesitate to email Alan at ACG thought. You shouldn't rely on info here. In the end it's best just to go to the source to find out what's possible.

18. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    John, congrats on another amazing product. This preamp really changed my whole perception of my own bass. I was about to give up on a wonderful bass until I put your preamp in it. Now I'm elated to plug in my bass every time that I play. Honestly. It made that much of a difference. The next bass that Brian Ristola will build for me will definately have this preamp in it as well. I'm very, very satisfied. The only problem is that now I want one in my J bass.

19. synaesthesia

synaesthesia

Apr 13, 2004
    UK
    The Alembic activator on board electronics has the option of a low pass filter with Q switches and bass and treble cut/boost. Also they have an operating frequency range of up to about 7khz or so before trailing off. This is not uncommon in on board electronics. My own design filters of at 10K with little appreciable gain if any.

You may have better mileage with sweepable high frequency points or highpass filters in your sonic application.

20. DavidRavenMoon

DavidRavenMoon Banned

Oct 20, 2004
    Cool! That's the way to do it John. I wasn't sure how you had it set up, but I should have figured... you know what you're doing. Nice having the gain trims there.