Active 5'ers in the $2k - $6k price range– What do you like best?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassGeekJack, Feb 21, 2021.

1. MTD

19 vote(s)
    8.4%
  2. F Bass

23 vote(s)
    10.2%
  3. Adamovic

2 vote(s)
    0.9%
  4. Skjold

10 vote(s)
    4.4%
  5. Sadowsky

36 vote(s)
    16.0%
  6. Warrior

1 vote(s)
    0.4%
  7. Other

118 vote(s)
    52.4%
  8. Just buy some carrots for .89

16 vote(s)
    7.1%
  1. I have been looking for my next splurge. This past year has been tough, but I've been fortunate in that I saved a ton of money, going nowhere but the grocery store and focusing more on my investing. (Turns out I spend a lot in my day to day outside of a pandemic :whistle:).

I am looking to get an active 5 string (I've had a Schecter Stiletto before, have since sold it) with either two humbuckers or two single coil pups. I own and have tried many Fenders, Ibanez, and Music Men, and while they are fantastic, I am looking for something more unique this time around. What are some of your favorite brands / 5-string bass models typically in this price range? (They can be cheaper, that's just my max budget).

2. LadyLoveStingRay5

LadyLoveStingRay5

Jul 17, 2004
    Fodera

3. Jefenator

Jefenator Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    Roscoe
    Dingwall

4. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    Sandberg at the lower end of your $ range.

5. Geri O

Geri O Endorsing Artist, Mike Lull Guitars and Basses Gold Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    Mike Lull.

Jeff Haislip, mambo4, Blenin and 4 others like this.
  6. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Sadowsky

kirillstokes, BassGeekJack and DeepHz like this.
  7. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan My Name is Ruin Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, Texas
    Status Graphite
    Roscoe
    Skjold

8. alembicbones

alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    I voted Sadowsky. I had an NYC built 6 years ago and it's a great 5 string active jazz bass. It was mentioned earlier about Dingwall. Great basses there too. I own a NG-3 5 string and it's really fun to play. Now I have a Custom Canadian Model on order.

Bones

BassGeekJack and DeepHz like this.
  9. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Mike Lull.

10. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    I went with F Bass just because I’ve been eyeing those for a while and that’s what I’d get. The MTD IG page gets me drooling too.

BassGeekJack likes this.
  11. line6bassist

line6bassist Supporting Member

May 16, 2009
    san antonio/austin
    I'll say sadowsky but don't sleep on Yamaha's. I have a BBne2 and it kills!

12. TFunkadelic

TFunkadelic

Apr 9, 2006
    Modulus

jja412, Sixgunn, Medicine Man and 3 others like this.
  13. Joeynone

Joeynone The Neon Skyline Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    Other: Musicman

14. Lackey

Lackey Supporting Member

May 10, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    Honestly if you're just thinking of buying a boutique bass to buy a fancy bass I'd be very careful. Unless you find an instrument you're really into you may find yourself with a major case of buyer's remorse. You might be surprised just how ordinary boutique basses can be...

gg22, packhowitzer, 123Nil and 12 others like this.
  15. The practical side of me says Kiesel (yes, they're that good). The wistful side says MTD or Fodera.

16. JonathanPDX

JonathanPDX Gold Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Portland, OR
    At that price you can have something built that's exactly what you want. Chris Stambaugh is building a 5-string for me this year (my second bass by him) and in that range I'm sure he could craft just about anything you could imagine.

Of course, there are many luthiers who do great work and fall in that range, Stambaugh is just one of many options. I'd suggest making a list of features you want, research some builders, and then contact them about how they'd approach building a bass that matches your needs.

Sure, you can buy a really nice off-the-shelf or used bass in that range, but unless you can go play it first and you know 100% it's perfect for you, why not have something built that's exactly what you want? It doesn't get any more unique than that. :)

Lastly, if you aren't into a custom build, at that price you might consider looking into one of the boutique bass stores around the country and budget a trip to try out a number of the basses on your list and purchase one you've actually held in your hands. Personally, I'd feel better spending $1,000 on a trip and flying home with a $3,000 bass I knew was perfect, than spending $4K on a bass sight-unseen just because somebody on the internet said they liked the brand.

17. Skip Chucker

Skip Chucker

Dec 9, 2018
    Kalamazoo
    Roscoe. And then Roscoe. Followed by Roscoe.

Did mention Roscoe?

Because I really meant Roscoe.

SO uh, Roscoe.

...Roscoe.

Zoot H Rollo, oren, bkirk and 5 others like this.
  18. A9X

A9X Inactive

Dec 27, 2003
    These contradict each other to some extent. You can't possibly know a given build will be right for you, just hope based on averages.

Brad Johnson, Growling Woods and 31HZ like this.
  19. Bassed in NZ

Bassed in NZ ...in search of the impeccable groove...

Feb 22, 2008
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Elrick

Viggo51, bkirk, Turnaround and 2 others like this.