Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Active and Passive basses: Compensation required in volume?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jammadave, Nov 13, 2003.

1. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    hey guys -

Last night I went to play a couple MusicMan basses just because I never really had tried them. I played one of the SUBs and a Sterling. I would've gotten to the Ray but I fell in gearlust with the Sterling...it's a metallic orange one... mmmmmm =0)

But, with the Sterling the signal was much louder into the amp than the SUB, to the point of overdriving it a little (either the pre or the speakers, it was a GK Stack).

Is this the result of Active vs Passive? (dont know if the SUB was passive, but it had just bass/treb/mid knobs) Would I have the same problem between a Sterling and a passive bass at home (gibson), and is there an internal gain trim i could set like there is on my Curbow?

ahhh, GAS.

2. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Kentucky
    Active preamps are one of several factors that can affect output volume.. but it's not always the case. I'd be willing to bet that the super hot Sterling you were trying out had the pickup set much closer to the strings (higher) than the S.U.B. Another factor that changes output volume is overwound pickups (unikely that this was a factor in your situation.)

3. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    *doh* I didn't even think to check the pup height. *bonk*.

4. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Kentucky
  5. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    I play a Spector (active) and a Rickenbacher (passive) and the Spector is way louder, due to it being active mainly. The strings on both are DR's and the string height are very simular.