1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Active and passive switching!!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by PeuterN2L, Jun 12, 2012.

1. PeuterN2L

PeuterN2L

Jun 9, 2012
    South Africa
    Okay straight to the point. i have a jazz bass, with two vintage, alnico single split coil pickups. what i want is the ability to 1: have a passive mode, standard jazz set up, a volume, volume and master tone. and 2: active mode, with an eq, bass and treble boost/cut.

I fell inlove with the electronic system of the Carvin SB5000, after watching Ed friedlands reveiw on it. is there a pickup company offering an aftermarket kit like this? im not looking to buy a carvin bass, i wouldlove to have a modified jazz bass!

here is the review!!! :bassist:

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
  3. I'd think a lot of preamps would be an upgrade from Carvin.
    Not that Carvin is bad, but they certainly aren't the best.

4. John East J Retro: http://www.bestbassgear.com/j-retro-preamp.htm

I installed the 4-knob Deluxe version in my Peavey Grind 5, and am very satisfied. The Passive mode preserves the tone of the original Grind pickups, and the preamp has a really fat, warm and modern voice, almost synth-like. I especially like it with low mids boosted.

5. Syxz_ML

Syxz_ML

Apr 10, 2012
    Los Angeles
    What kind of jazz bass do you have? I would throw out looking into a Fender Jaguar as well as it already has that included and if you feel like changing the preamp it's just a matter of switching rather then customizing your bass.

6. PeuterN2L

PeuterN2L

Jun 9, 2012
    South Africa
    its a mid 80's jazz, black body, white pick guard! i looked at the jaguar and its awesome! :hyper: but what i want is a sort of vintage/custom/active/passive jazz bass! im also going to change the bridge and tuners! thanks for the suggestion! :cool:

7. jumbodbassman

jumbodbassman Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2009
    Stuck in traffic -NY & CT
    Born Again Tubey
    mike pope's preamp has the passive /active capability.

8. Almost all preamps wired in a VVT configuration will allow for active/passive switching, since the volumes are before the preamp input, so the signal impedance does not change when the preamp is bypassed.

9. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I actually wrote that before you posted the Carvin, but it got posted after yours. Made it look like I was replying to your Carvin link, but I was really just replying to the OP's mention of Carvin :)