Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

active and passive...........yup, another one.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Milothicus, Apr 19, 2002.

1. i know, i know, there are lots of these threads already, but i can't find the answer to my question in them......

i saw a concentric EMG pot that is just an active 2 band EQ. does that mean it can be hooked up to passive pickups with passive volume and blend controls? or do the pickups and/or volume/blend have to be active as well?

another question....what ARE active pickups? do they have their own batteries? do they amplify the signal before it even gets to the onboard controls? what situation would demand active pickups?

2. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    to answer the first question, Yes, you can use an active preamp with passive pickups. Most basses do that... the only active pickups i know of are EMG's.

and as to what an active pickup is, your idea is the same as mine, i'm not completely sure though.

3. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Active pickups have an internal preamp that requires power. They can share the power with a preamp I believe. The advantage is that the pickup can use weaker magnets and fewere turns of wire, thereby allowing less string interference and broader frequency response.

As for the EMG stacked tone controls, I think it's just an EMG preamp w/ no volume or blend pots. The operation of volume and blend pots on most active preamps is really passive anyway, they just go between the pickups and the preamp.