1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Active bass battery usage

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by soleil4716, Mar 30, 2009.

1. soleil4716

soleil4716

Mar 11, 2009
    Dallas, TX
    Can anyone tell me when an active bass's battery is actually used?

I understand it gets used when you play using the amp. But does it get used when the amp is turned off but the guitar is still connected to the amp through the cable?

A guitarist told me the battery gets used as long as the cable is hooked to the bass, no matter what the other end of the cable is doing. Is this right?

Thanks.

2. Absentia

Absentia

Feb 25, 2009
    yes, plugging the bass in completes the circuit so it uses power.
    Always unplug it when you're done, of course you gui****s will leave it plugged in, drain the battery and never buy you replacements.
    I now keep 6 in my bag at all times.

3. +1 The output jack of a bass is the 'on/off' switch for the active circuitry.

Just unplug it when you aren't using your bass. No reason to do this between sets or anything, but you don't want to keep the bass plugged in for days at home.

If you play 3-4 a week, a typical active preamp will need a new battery once a year. Many just pick a date that they won't forget (Christmas, a birthday, New Year's Eve) and change the batteries in all their basses (or their bass) every year. If you are nervous about that, or play more often, just switch to every 6 months.

4. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

I have one of these. Highly recommended if you want to feel "safe" about your batteries' life. BTW, my Bongo basses are really battery-hungry compared with my previous ones. Typically I replaced batteries once a year, but my Bongos ask for new ones each six months and even less when I have many gigs (and I never leave my basses plugged when I don't need them to sound through the amp).

5. soleil4716

soleil4716

Mar 11, 2009
    Dallas, TX
    Thanks for all the replies! I'll keep it unplugged when not in use.